Surface Finishing (SME) - Subject Matter Expert
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Operations and Supply Chain
Imagine what you could do here. At Apple, new ideas have a way of becoming extraordinary products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish. The people here at Apple don’t just create products — they create the kind of wonder that’s revolutionized entire industries. It’s the diversity of those people and their ideas that inspires the innovation that runs through everything we do, from amazing technology to industry-leading environmental efforts. Join Apple, and help us leave the world better than we found it.
- Minimum 5 years experience in anodizing, plating, etching, or related chemical surface finishing operation.
- Experience using a variety of mechanical processes and chemical finishing processes to meet cosmetic and functional requirements.
- Excellent problem solving skills, and the ability to drive root cause analysis and corrective action activities.
- Attention to detail, follow-through, and ability to remain focused on goals while leading project activities.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Fluency in English is required.
- Minimum average, preferably superior color discrimination ability desired
- Experience with highly cosmetic consumer electronics devices preferred.
- Frequent overseas travel expected. (25-35%)
Join a dynamic team of Subject Matter Experts specializing in the color, material, and finish of Apple products. Get immersed in anodizing, plating, and other surface finishing technologies. The SME will be directly involved in creating Apple products from initial concept to mass production. The Surface Finishing SME will work with suppliers, overseas colleagues, multifunctional and leadership teams. Will be responsible for planning, implementing, analyzing, and optimizing high volume surface finishing processes to meet precise cosmetic and functional requirements. A successful candidate will be intimate with anodizing, plating, etching, or related chemical finishing operation. Able to accurately communicate complex technical details to colleagues, cross functional teams, and Apple executives is critical. They will be able to lead multiple concurrent projects, keep calm and focused during difficult situations, be process oriented, and remain flexible & adaptable to the fast pace of mass production. In this role you'll enable the cosmetic requirements set by Apple designers by developing processes to match their desired finish. This includes creating initial samples, and developing the process necessary to meet their desired finishes. Evaluate supplier capabilities and, if necessary, address production gaps by implementing advanced manufacturing processes and control methods. Monitor and adjust the manufacturing processes throughout the product development cycle to reliably meet requirements in mass production. Present technical and process analysis to decision makers that will be used to make commercial, cosmetic and design decisions.
Education & Experience
Bachelor degree in engineering, chemistry, materials science, or related field. Master degree is a plus.
- Apple is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We take affirmative action to ensure equal opportunity for all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or other legally protected characteristics. Apple will not discriminate or retaliate against applicants who inquire about, disclose, or discuss their compensation or that of other applicants.
- Apple will consider for employment all qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable law.
- Apple participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations as required by law.
- Apple is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to applicants with physical and mental disabilities.
- Apple is a drug-free workplace.