Process Engineer, PPO Sensing Group
San Diego, California, United States
Apple’s PPO Sensing Group is looking for an electronic packaging engineer to work on developing exciting new products. Be responsible for providing module packaging solutions in a system for various consumer markets. This role will be working with internal device design, product design, operation, and supply chain, as well as external suppliers to develop and deploy new packaging technologies. We are looking for individuals who are innovative as well as experienced in a high volume manufacturing environment.
- 5+ years of semiconductor packaging/assembly experience.
- In-depth knowledge in the area of semiconductor sensor packaging technologies.
- Expert-level knowledge in assembly steps: wafer thinning, wafer dicing, die attach (including flip chip and multi-die stacking), wirebond, encapsulation and underfill, SMT, transfer/compression molding, singulation, and wafer level packaging processes.
- Working level knowledge in wafer bumping, RDL, and TSV.
- Strong materials science and failure analysis (FA) knowledge related to assembly chip-packaging interactions and reliability failures.
- Proficient in applying DOE vs. Hypothesis tool for root cause analysis.
- Understand and keep up-to-date with industry landscape on relevant technologies.
- Strong interpersonal and team-building skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Present ideas, design concepts, data and plan with high confidence at team meetings and executive review meetings.
- Have passion in semiconductor packaging technology, self motivated, can go deep, and be able to deliver under minimal supervision.
- Proven track record of work with OSAT to bring up a product from conceptual to MP stage.
This role will have ownership of process equipment definition, process material selection, and process flow design for module packaging. Own existing projects packaging process and materials. Evaluate process and materials impact of module packaging with system integration. Develop new package process concepts to realize new module designs base on unique system requirements. Develop new package processes from Proof-of-Concept demonstrations to full production implementation. Collaborate with reliability team and product design team to identify design and process issues with the use of FMEA. Establish communication channels with module integrators and any key technical suppliers to accomplish project success. Consolidate Major Issues List for each project to communicate with both internal and external parties. Collaborate with program management teams to accomplish timely delivery of project. Hand-off projects from engineering phase to operations team with clearly defined goals and deliverables. Up to 25% travel
Education & Experience
M.S or Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering, Physics, Materials Science or similar disciplines.
- International travel is required up to 25%