Senior Firmware Engineer
Austin, Texas, United States
Imagine what you could accomplish here. At Apple, new ideas have a way of becoming extraordinary products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Are you ready to bring your passion and dedication to your next challenging career adventure? The Infrastructure Services Server Development Team is seeking a Firmware Engineer who is responsible for Rack Management Controller and Baseboard Management Controller (BMC) firmware development. We are looking for someone who will be in charge of the design, development and debugging of firmware. This person is responsible for providing technical support to implement development and quality assurance processes vital to make certain that the firmware consistently provides the required functionality, usability, quality/reliability, performance, and supportability. This candidate must ensure the products we build meet and/or exceed the design requirements and delight our end users and datacenter technicians. We are on the lookout for a hardworking and passionate person to join this amazing team. If you feel this is you, we would love to hear from you!
- Design, Develop and modify firmware for server hardware platforms that meet or exceed the requirements of the technical spec including, but not limited to: Performance, User Interface, System run time operation, firmware updates, error handling, error recovery and Quality/Reliability.
- 10 years of tried and true ability in hands-on experience in firmware development, verification, and automated QA environment
- Experience with both real-time operating systems and super-loop architectures.
- Experience with low-level debug including use of jtag debuggers and logic analyzers.
- A high level of skill in problem re-creation and trapping as well as identifying and optimizing the performance of critical algorithms
- The ability to analyze firmware and hardware issues and work closely with other team members to debug and fix sophisticated system level issues.
The Senior Firmware Engineer/Developer will be a catalyst for our next generation racks, servers and storage server designs. The firmware engineer will be responsible for development and integration of embedded firmware for infrastructure management on rack and server management controllers. This includes working with third party source code providers, the Apple HW/FW team, and any selected development partners to develop a comprehensive plan to ensure Apple feature and functionality requirements are being met. This role will require extensive knowledge of IT infrastructure management architecture and understand the firmware requirements to control and be responsible for the desired server and/or rack component behavior. This person must also have validated leadership experience in interfacing with the vital internal and external stakeholders to ensure the scope/schedule and resources of the firmware development align with the higher level program objectives. The successful candidate will have confirmed experience in bringing an embedded software infrastructure management product to production.
Education & Experience
BS in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering or similar degree.
- 7+ years' experience in BMC, Chassis Controller, and/or Rack Controller firmware development
- Knowledge of the RedFish specification and RESTFul interfaces
- Knowledge of IPMI 2.0 and DCMI 1.5 Specifications
- Experience with embedded Linux, sockets programming and gcc build/debug tools.
- Solid understanding of IPMITool and other user interfaces with the BMC
- Familiarity with Open BMC, Open RMC and other hyperscale trends.