Product Design Engineer - Retail and Events Product Design
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Apple is seeking a product design engineer to join the Retail and Events Product Design (REPD) team. We are a diverse group of engineers who design integrated hardware solutions for retail spaces and special Apple events like new product announcements, developer conferences, and store openings. These solutions are engineered to elevate and showcase Apple products in magical and transformative ways. We are looking for someone who naturally approaches problem solving with creativity and curiosity! Within our team, your responsibilities will span technology development and concept generation to detailed design, analysis, and testing through mass production of complex assemblies. We value engineers with a desire to acquire new skills and further their professional development. You will have the opportunity to learn and apply knowledge in many engineering fields, including material selection, machine design, manufacturing processes (CNC, injection molding, sheet metal stamping, etc), stress and failure analyses, PCB integration, and cosmetic finishing. We work best with excellent communicators who are able to fluently collaborate with multi-functional teams within Apple, like the Industrial Design Group, as well as external suppliers. Delivering the best customer experience is our shared goal!
- Experience working in a collaborative environment and self-motivation to identify and drive resolution on design issues across multiple projects
- The ability to articulate design issues in quantitative terms both verbally and with documentation
- A passion for functional design and an appreciation for detail
- Some international travel required
- Computer industry experience not required. Serious consideration will be given to qualified candidates from other analytical fields with robust engineering fundamentals.
- Developing initial product architectures and new technology concept investigations - Designing 3D models of mechanisms and drafting 2D documentation of all parts and assemblies - Building physical models to evaluate functionality, manufacturability, and robustness of design - Collaborating with operations teams and external vendors to develop manufacturing and assembly processes - Analyzing data generated from lab experiments and vendor builds to inform engineering decisions - Traveling both domestically and internationally to piece part and assembly vendors to realize the physical design and finding root cause for failures
Education & Experience
- B.S. degree in Mechanical Engineering - 3+ years of full time and relevant experience in mechanical design