Lab Technician, Packaging Product Design
Austin, Texas, United States
When was the last time you enjoyed a box as much as the product inside? At Apple, every customer interaction is an opportunity for surprise and delight! This philosophy extends beyond the product to its packaging, where every detail is thoughtfully considered. Apple’s Packaging Product Design team is a diverse group of people responsible for the design and execution of structural packaging for all Apple products—from shippers to finished goods boxes. Our packaging delivers an outstanding customer experience, while protecting products throughout the shipping environment, and advancing Apple’s sustainability goals. We collaborate with a wide range of teams including Industrial Design, Marketing, Environmental, Operations and many others during the design process. As a function of Packaging Product Design, this position combines elements of existing Test Technician and Lab Operations Specialist roles to investigate new packaging materials and validate design performance throughout all stages of development across our entire product line up. We perform testing which simulates real-world package shock, environmental and transportation conditions present in global distribution. Each test is followed by thorough inspection of performance using metrology equipment and visual inspections to detail findings. You will also lead setup and maintenance of a brand new, state of the art, multi-functional engineering lab. This role requires complex problem solving, outstanding attention to detail, the ability to influence others, and demonstrated success working in both autonomous and collaborative ways.
- Previous track record of success executing testing, processing and summarizing test data.
- Strong problem solving skills, utilizing creative, innovative and strategic thinking, including the ability to make good technical decisions with minimal guidance.
- Experience in lab or shared space setup, management and improvement; as well as management of an engineering lab space.
- Meticulously well organized with data, information, files, and physical spaces.
- Proven ability to produce high-quality results while working autonomously.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- OTHER QUALITIES WE’RE EXCITED TO SEE:
- At least 3+ years of test experience, experience in a hardware or testing lab is a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to influence and lead others, including members of cross-functional teams.
- Experience with electrical and mechanical lab measurement equipment.
- Experience procuring and maintaining inventory of electronic parts, tools, and consumables.
Core to this role is conducting mechanical testing, processing and summarizing data. You will operate dynamic test equipment, help develop and assemble test fixtures, and execute complex testing to validate packaging performance, often working with remote teams. Documenting accurate data and organizing comprehensive test results for our engineering teams is critical. You will support selection, initial setup, installation, ongoing maintenance and coordinate calibration of test equipment used in labs. This will include developing, documenting, implementing and adapting processes to ensure efficiency throughout our labs. You will also build technical documentation and facilitate equipment, safety and lab onboarding training to members of our team. A successful candidate will have a deep operational foundation, solid understanding of physical testing, data collection, technical troubleshooting, and a strong instinct to provide accurate data with a high level of attention to detail. This position will include close cooperation within the Packaging Product Design and Channel Store Product Design teams, including cross-functional partners in Cupertino. Up to 20% domestic travel may be required in this role.
Education & Experience
AS/BS in Mechanical Engineering, Packaging Sciences or relevant industry experience