Associate Test Engineer, Packaging Product Design
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
When was the last time you enjoyed a box as much as the product inside? At Apple, every customer interaction is an opportunity for surprise and delight! This philosophy extends beyond the product to its packaging, where every detail is thoughtfully considered. Apple’s Packaging Product Design team is a diverse group of people responsible for the design and execution of structural packaging for all Apple products from shippers to finished goods boxes. Our packaging delivers an outstanding customer experience, while protecting products throughout the shipping environment, and advancing Apple’s sustainability goals. We collaborate with a wide range of teams including Industrial Design, Marketing, Environmental, Operations and many others during the design process. As a function of Packaging Product Design, the Associate Test Engineer investigates new packaging materials and validates design performance throughout all stages of development, across our entire product line up. We perform testing which simulates real-world package shock, environmental and transportation conditions present in global distribution. Each test is followed by thorough inspection of performance using metrology equipment and visual inspections to detail findings. This role also recommends improvements to existing test methods while assisting the development of new technologies which drive efficient, robust and scalable testing solutions.
- Data-driven approach to solving complex and novel technical problems—utilizing creative, innovative and strategic thinking, including the ability to make good technical decisions with minimal guidance.
- Strong engineering fundamentals with a basic understanding of design and metrology.
- Understanding of underlying functionality related to mechanical, measurement and microscopy equipment.
- OTHER QUALITIES WE’RE EXCITED TO SEE:
- Extremely well organized and detail-oriented with samples, data, information and files.
- Introductory knowledge of packaging materials, manufacturing processes and evaluation testing standards such as ASTM, TAPPI and ISTA.
- Experience using computer control (Python, Matlab, LabView, VEE, etc.) to automate repetitive measurements.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Core to this role is conducting mechanical testing, processing and summarizing data. You will utilize dynamic test equipment, help develop and assemble test fixtures and support test method development to validate packaging performance, often working with remote teams. Documenting accurate data and organizing comprehensive test results for our engineering teams is critical, assisting in the development of hardware and software test systems to collect analytics on design performance. You will perform first level failure analysis and contribute to root cause/corrective action plans. You will also build technical documentation and facilitate equipment, safety and lab onboarding training to members of our team. A successful candidate is curious to create something that does not exist, but should. They will have solid understanding of physical/mechanical testing, data collection, hardware and software troubleshooting, and a strong desire to provide accurate data with a high level of attention to detail. This position will include close cooperation within the Packaging Product Design, including cross-functional partners in Cupertino and across the world.
Education & Experience
AS/BS in Mechanical Engineering, Packaging Sciences or 5+ years relevant work experience.