Photonics Design Engineer
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Imagine what you could do here. At Apple, new ideas have a way of becoming extraordinary products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish. Dynamic, smart people and inspiring, innovative technologies are the norm here. The people who work here have reinvented entire industries with all Apple Hardware products. The same passion for innovation that goes into our products also applies to our practices strengthening our commitment to leave the world better than we found it. Join us to help deliver the next groundbreaking Apple product! Do you love working on challenges that no one has solved yet? As a member of our dynamic group, you will have the unique and rewarding opportunity to craft upcoming products that will delight and inspire millions of Apple’s customers every single day! Apple is looking for a Photonics Design Engineer to work on research and development of novel integrated photonics devices in sensing applications. You will work within an optical science team and collaborate with a multi-disciplinary group to demonstrate new photonic components and sensor concepts. The candidate will be responsible for design, simulation, and characterization of silicon photonic components to enable the next generation of photonic integrated circuits.
- Deep understanding of optoelectronics, photonics, and semiconductor devices
- Experience with silicon photonics design of passive and active components; specifically modulators and optical phase arrays. Experience with multiple SOI platforms is a plus.
- Experience with electromagnetic, thermal, and electrical simulation in commercially available software tools: Lumerical, COMSOL, etc.
- Good understanding of a variety of optical measurement techniques, with hands-on experience characterizing optical and optoelectronic devices
- Strong programming skills and proficiency in statistical data analysis in Python, Matlab, JMP or similar.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- 2+ years of relevant industry experience
As a Photonics Design Engineer, you will have the following responsibilities: - Work with cross-functional teams to understand the requirements and generate device-level specifications - Design and modeling of new optical devices and sub-systems - Work with process teams to define process specifications and understand drivers of performance variability - Work closely with layout teams to deliver designs to meet fast-paced tape-out schedules - Full device characterization including specification of test plans and providing statistical analysis, closing the loop with modeling and process variation
Education & Experience
Master in EE/Physics with optics background (plus 5+ years of work experience) or PhD in Optics (plus 2+ years of work experience), Physics or Electrical Engineering.