Sr. Wireless System Engineer - Algorithm Design and System Developments
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
At Apple, we work every single day to craft products that enrich people’s lives. Do you love working on challenges that no one has solved yet? Do you like changing the game? We are looking for a forward-thinking and unusually hardworking Wireless System Engineer. As a member of our dynamic group, you will have the rare and extraordinary opportunity to craft upcoming products that will delight and encourage millions of Apple’s customers every single day. In this technical role, you will be at the center of a silicon design group responsible for wireless system design for state-of-the-art wireless SoC products. You will help with crafting and simulating state-of-the-art wireless communication system for newly emerging demanding applications for very high data rate, high efficiency, low latency, fast switching and accurate ranging detections. You will help in implementing system models and investigate for innovative algorithms for core functionalities of the wireless communication systems and their performance enhancements, design, validate them to allow performance sign-off and enable RTL developments. You may also work on designing method/algorithm to enhance RF/circuits performances of the wireless communication systems by digital signal processing such as calibrations, pre-equalizations, cancellation and/or pre-distortion techniques. You will further participate in architecting and defining control procedures of the physical layer hardware modules to achieve robust and efficient performance of the modem in practical congested medium conditions. Above all, you will work well with RF/analog designers, SW engineers, Product teams, HW digital designers and architects to define and specify the wireless systems. You will get to work with digital designers to realize these methods with power and area efficient digital implementations. Above all, to work with firmware designers to realize these methods with high efficiency software implementations and possibly with hardware acceleration. And to bring up, test, characterize and optimize real silicon in lab to the production qualities.
- - This is an individual technical contributor role that requires at least 7+ years experience in designing signal processing and wireless communications systems.
- - Strong experience on designing and developing the physical layer core algorithms of wireless communication systems (such as MIMO signal estimation and detection, channel estimation, equalization, coding theory, beamforming, signal estimation and detection, timing recovery, frequency synchronization, automatic gain control, etc.).
- - Track record for utilizing state-of-the-art techniques/knowledge (signal processing, communication theory, information theory, etc.) to resolve the meaningful problems of the physical layer design (transmitter/receiver) for modern wireless communication systems.
- - Deep understanding of communication theory, information theory, & signal processing related algorithms design.
- - Strong analytical capability to develop the outstanding solution in terms of performance, power, and area for the ambitious issues of physical layer design.
- - Strong coding/debugging skills to model the sophisticated physical layer of modern wireless communication systems.
- - Deep understanding of components/modules composited of wireless communication systems, and the possible impairments from those components, and the corresponding calibration and impairment reduction methods/algorithms, digital pre-distortion, PAPR reduction algorithms, Tx power control, etc.
- - Strong experience of algorithm development with hardware and firmware friendly design
- - Strong experience with C/C++, and Matlab for algorithm development, modeling, and simulation of physical layer of wireless communication systems.
- - Experience in modem architecture, microprocessor architecture, hardware and software control is a plus.
- - Experience on bring up real silicon in lab, being able to efficiently use lab equipment (such as spectrum analyzer, signal generator, power meter, etc) is a plus.
- - Knowledge in existing wireless communication protocols: 5G/LTE/WCDMA/GSM, 802.11a/b/g/n/ac/ax/be, 802.11ad/ay or Bluetooth/BLE
You will have an opportunity of crafting and innovating the algorithms and architectures of wireless communication systems, working with the world class RF/analog, HW, SW designers, Product engineers and architects, implementing, verifying, validating and bringing up the SoC products to the production quality, providing them to millions of Apple customers. Core Responsibilities: - Design and simulate state-of-the-art wireless communication system for very high data rate applications. - Implement system models and investigate innovative algorithms for performance enhancements, design and validate them to allow performance sign-off and enable RTL development. - Implement system models for the wireless communication system, RF/circuits impairments. Design method/algorithm to alleviate those impairments by calibration, pre-equalization, canceler, and/or pre-distortion techniques. - Define the control procedures of the physical layer hardware modules to achieve robust and efficient performance of the Modem in congested radio environment. - Work with digital designers to realize these methods with power and area efficient digital implementations. - Work with firmware designers to realize these methods with high efficiency software implementation, and possibly with hardware acceleration. - Bring up, test, characterize and optimize real silicon in lab.
Education & Experience
- MSEE with 10+ Years experience or Ph.D. with 7+ Years experience.