System Architect - Scalable and Modular Wireless Communications System
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Wireless communication systems are evolving into complex systems with increasing requirements for performance and robustness for emerging new generations of applications. Wireless communication protocols are also becoming more and more complex from one generation to next. Interactions of multiple protocols are becoming inevitable and managing co-existence is becoming critical. Such interactions are creating complex abort/error scenarios. Impact from wrongly implemented error/abort mechanism could be catastrophic. Coming up with an appropriate wireless communication systems architecture for such complex systems to manage ever increasing and demanding requirements is becoming essential for the further evolutions, and thus calling for creative minds. You will be responsible in coming up with a novel architecture for wireless communication systems with design concepts described below. • Scalable and modular design - signal processing modules are integrated in a scalable and modular manner so that the developments for different product lines, future developments and validation procedures are smoothly and systematically managed. You must ensure that necessary controls and observations are added without excessively bloating the system. You must also architect the system so that it is easily configurable to operate in various environments with congested traffic. • Resource sharing – Maximizing the sharing of the resources for both logics and memory for various processing are essential. Appropriate architecture and programmable flexibility must be employed to achieve high level of sharing over wide ranges of processing. • Exception/error handling across modules - Flexible abort/error handling/reset mechanism must be implemented in clear and clean architecture to ensure robustness. With increasing complexity, testing the error handling mechanism before tape-out is becoming challenging. The design needs software-controlled programmability to manage abort/error/reset at any new failing scenario in future. • Facilitate HW implementation - With increasing system complexity, the control mechanism becomes complex and HW delay matching becomes challenging and time consuming. A sophisticated mechanism is a must. Concepts such as precision of used arithmetic, propagation delay, event time stamps, etc. can be quite helpful. You will be responsible that such features become an integral part of the design. • Robustness by design - Increasing complexity leads to a point where the parameter space is so large that we cannot test all scenarios. You must ensure the validation without simulations that sweep all parameter combinations. You can achieve this by introducing systematic architecture with appropriate flexibility – e.g., architecture with which we can guarantee matching without testing all combinations, together with making the best use of flexible knobs for fine adjustments. You will be at the center of a silicon design group responsible for wireless system design for state-of-the-art wireless SoC products. You will have an opportunity of designing and innovating the algorithms and architectures of wireless communication systems, working with the world class RF/analog, HW, SW designers, architects, implementing, verifying, validating and bringing up the SoC products to the production quality, providing them to millions of Apple customers.
- At least 7+ years experience in designing signal processing and wireless communications systems.
- In-depth knowledge on wireless communication system (OFDM/MIMO, etc) is essential.
- Deep understanding of communication theory & signal processing related algorithms design (such as timing recovery, signal estimation and detection, MIMO signal estimation and detection, automatic gain control, channel estimation, equalization, coding theory, beamforming, etc.)
- Strong coding skills with C/C++, Matlab and Python for algorithm development, modeling, and simulation.
- Experience in modem architecture, hardware and software control is essential.
- Experience with multi-radio coexistence management is a plus.
- Experience and knowledge on silicon prototyping, emulation systems, and virtual platforms is a plus.
- Hands on experience on bring up real silicon in lab, being able to efficiently use lab equipment (such as spectrum analyzer, signal generator, power meter, etc) is a plus.
- Knowledge in existing wireless communication protocols: 5G/LTE/WCDMA/GSM, 802.11a/b/g/n/ac/ax/be, 802.11ad/ay or Bluetooth/BLE
• Design and simulate state-of-the-art wireless communication system for very high efficiency, low latency and high data rate applications. • Coming up with an appropriate architecture and implement them with utilizing various effective concepts. • Ensure signal processing modules are integrated in a scalable manner with expandability or re-configurability in mind. • Design and simulate a communications system for robustness and controllability considering a variation of noisy and congested media cases. • Architect a communications system in a way to decrease testing and validation procedures. • Architect a flexible error handling mechanism that is also software programmable. • Implement system models and investigate innovative algorithms for performance enhancements, design and validate them to allow performance sign-off and enable RTL development. • Work with digital designers to realize these methods with power and area efficient digital implementations. • Work with firmware designers to realize these methods with high efficiency software implementation, and possibly with hardware acceleration. • Bring up, test, characterize and optimize real silicon in lab.
Education & Experience
MS with 10+ Years experience or Ph.D. with 7+ Years experience.