Sr. Engineering Program Manager, App Store Games
Seattle, Washington, United States
Software and Services
When this team introduced the App Store, it launched a cultural and economic phenomenon that changed the way people live, work, and play. These engineers and dedicated Program Managers continue to innovate the platform, now home to over 1.5 million apps — each created using the team’s own software development kit and related services. All those apps mean the store takes billions of requests from more than 500 million visitors every week, across iOS, macOS, tvOS, iPadOS, and watchOS. To deliver such a rich experience at this scale, Program Managers partner with the engineers to build high-performance systems backed up by persistent systemwide A/B testing. And to help people discover apps they love, the team uses machine learning techniques that include natural language processing to develop new algorithms for personalization, search, and recommender systems. In a world where apps have become essential in people’s daily lives, the App Store team has become essential to Apple’s business.
- 5+ years of program, project, or product management experience in software development
- A track record of building products by driving collaboration across engineering, QA, marketing, design, and other key stakeholders
- Strong strategic thinking and problem-solving abilities
- The ability to turn incomplete, conflicting, or ambiguous inputs into solid action plans
- Strong communication and presentation skills (written and verbal) to all levels of an organization
- Strong facilitation skills (requirements sessions, design meetings, progress and status meetings)
- Excellent judgment and integrity with the ability to make timely and sound decisions
- Experience in game development or other games industry background a plus
As the Games Engineering Program Manager, you’ll lead development projects for the App Store’s most popular category, working with our engineering teams to build experiences that impact millions of users worldwide. Among key areas of focus will be Game Center, which offers our customers a single gaming identity across Apple platforms, and GameKit, and which enables developers to integrate features like leaderboards, achievements, and multiplayer consistently in their games. In addition, you will drive other games feature initiatives, working with a broad cross-functional team to plan, schedule, build and ship the next wave of features supporting App Store customers and game developers across Apple’s platforms. In this role, you will drive the day-to-day program activities for all Game Center development projects, including planning, execution, and risk assessments, in order to meet the overall program objectives. You will help to set the strategy, execute on the schedule, and be responsible for communicating status and issues to stakeholders at all levels along the way. You will interface and collaborate with cross-functional partners to drive scope alignment, schedule alignment, and issue resolution. As a process leader for the team, you will develop and iterate on project management methodologies to increase efficiency, while staying aligned with Apple’s development practices and project lifecycle processes.