Digital Sculptor (Softgoods)
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Digital sculptors on the Apple Industrial Design Team take projects from concept models to final production surfaces and are responsible for the production data sets. We are a group of imaginative, problem solving, creative people always looking to hone the craft of sculpting. We work hand in hand with Industrial Designers and partner closely with engineers, artists, model makers and vendors. A culture of technical excellence, learning and growth is fostered by a diverse and close knit team that has fun working side by side with the designers in the Apple Design Team. The sculpting team is crucial to the design and development of all current and future Apple products. This role will work closely with the softgoods team—working with textiles, leather, silicone and soft polymers.
- A strong passion and enthusiasm for pursuing a lasting career in the craft of 3D modeling.
- Proficiency in NURBS modeling is preferred (i.e. Alias, Rhino, etc.), as well as Grasshopper and polygonal modeling (Maya, Modo, CLO, etc.) as is the ability to go beyond the limitations of software tools and manually manipulate or refine surfaces.
- An understanding of solid modeling CAD programs is a plus.
- Candidates must enjoy working at a fast pace and possess perseverance, excellent problem solving, organization, and interpersonal skills.
- Deep knowledge and expertise in taking 3D models to highly accurate patterns for prototype creation and testing.
- Background in driving development of tools and processes for production from digital models.
The CAD sculptor creates high-quality digital 3D surface models used in the industrial design and product development process. Responsibilities include interpreting and defining the design intent of the industrial designer using Autodesk Alias software, while directly collaborating with mechanical engineering, packaging, and tooling teams. 3D data is used to develop numerous product concepts, detailed appearance models, high-quality renderings, and production level surfaces used in tooling for manufacturing.
Education & Experience
Our team includes people with various backgrounds including: Industrial Design, Transportation Design, Computer Graphics, 3D Animation/Modeling, Architecture, Fine Arts and Engineering from all over the world.
- Please submit resume and portfolio in PDF format, emphasizing 3D modeling ability in wireframes to email@example.com