Product Design Engineer - Channel Store PD
Austin, Texas, United States
Apple is seeking a Product Design Engineer to join a brand-new engineering team — the Channel Store Product Design (CSPD) team. With over 30 times more Apple partner stores than Apple Retail stores, the Channel Store PD team’s work is far-reaching. The CSPD team’s designs share the Apple experience with an expansive and diverse population, utilizing design experience and intuition to create store environments that balance the beauty Apple customers expect with safety, sustainability, and reliability. We are seeking a creative problem solver to take on unique design challenges and the ambiguity that comes with a newly founded team. The CSPD team provides outstanding opportunities for learning and applying knowledge in many engineering disciplines, and values those with a desire to acquire new skills and further their professional development. The CSPD team values a diverse set of backgrounds, opinions and perspectives and encourages fresh influences from outside the standard retail and furniture industries to promote innovation in creative ways.
- Strong mechanical intuition, understanding of solid mechanics and material properties
- Passion for working and learning in a team environment. Self-motivated to identify and drive resolution on design issues across multiple projects and teams
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Curious and attentive to detail
- Solid understanding of 2D and 3D CAD software
- Engineer hundreds of fixtures at a time (tables, walls, and other furniture elements) at international vendors utilizing an ODM development model - Collaborate with and present to various cross-functional teams at all job levels, including creative design teams, to refine aesthetics and customer experience and meet all program goals - Iterate on and validate designs to ensure successful mass production using manufacturing data, reliability tests, and stress, failure and tolerance analyses - Develop manufacturing processes (including CNC, metal extruding, sheet metal stamping, cosmetic finishing, etc) and tooling designs with external vendors - Prototype physical models to evaluate functionality, manufacturability, and robustness - Generate and accept constructive feedback in brainstorming and design review forums - Travel up to 15% both domestically and internationally to vendors and installation sites to realize the physical design and find root cause for failures - Computer and/or furniture industry experience not required. Serious consideration will be given to qualified candidates from other analytical fields with robust engineering fundamentals.
Education & Experience
- B.S. degree in mechanical engineering or equivalent experience