SWE - Wireless Researcher Engineer (Cellular), WTE
Munich, Bavaria-Bayern, Germany
Machine Learning and AI
Apple engineers have always focused on one person when they build software — the person who will use it. Working with them, you’ll see why every Apple product and service feels intuitive and simple, and why every aspect of this group’s work is built around a respect for the customer’s needs. Wireless networks have transformed the way we live our lives. At Apple, we're imagining the future of cellular technology. Consider the extraordinary experiences of a network beyond 5G and you can quickly get a sense of the amazing opportunities that await us. Would you like to make an impact on this scale? Join us and influence the next generation of ground breaking wireless systems & standards.
- Passion for wireless communication, information theory, signal processing and graph theory
- Able to formulate research problems, experiment and implement solutions
- Deep understanding of wireless radio standards (e.g. 5G-NR, LTE, UMTS, 802.11ax, 802.11ad)
- Proficient coding skills (e.g. Java, Python, C++)
- Proven work experience with MEC cloud edge computing, virtualization of network architecture and inter-technology interworking
- Clear communicator who enjoys collaborating with others to develop innovative solutions
- Ability to produce clear and detailed system architecture documentation
- Thrives at problem solving, taking an analytical approach to seek out answers
The Wireless Technologies and Eco-Systems (WTE) organisation builds and seamlessly integrates technologies that enrich peoples' lives and deliver the best user-experience. Your valuable work will impact the lives of hundreds of millions of Apple users worldwide every day. As a Research Engineer in our team, your focus will be on next generation concepts and architectures to help influence future systems and standards. Partnering with other passionate engineers you'll define wireless and network features, helping drive external infrastructure vendors and carriers to full feature realization. Most importantly, you'll be part of building intellectual property and participating in industry/academic research projects as well as contributing to future 3GPP work items. Day to day, you'll analyze system requirements (e.g. link level, radio procedures, application level performance, etc) based on both wireless standards and product requirements to set system performance targets for wireless products. There is also the opportunity to define innovations and technical contributions in different areas of the cellular protocol (L1/L2/L3) and network architecture. In addition, you will develop models of overall system and network performance and evaluate performance and critical metrics tradeoffs to optimize the overall architecture. Our work includes exploring the benefits of machine learning and studying requirements of the network stack beyond layer-2. This provides you the chance to improve or build knowledge in these areas and others including core network architecture, packet scheduling, cellular congestion control, queuing theory, network slicing and more. This is an extraordinary opportunity to help Apple build innovative wireless devices and features for hundreds of millions of iOS users. If you are passionate about cellular technologies and shaping the future, we'd love to hear from you!
Education & Experience
Strong research and computer science fundamentals required - no matter how you got them.
- Apple’s most important resource, our soul, is our people. Apple benefits help further the well-being of our employees and their families in meaningful ways. No matter where you work at Apple, you can take advantage of our health and wellness resources and time-away programs. We’re proud to provide stock grants to employees at all levels of the company, and we also give employees the option to buy Apple stock at a discount — both offer everyone at Apple the chance to share in the company’s success. You’ll discover many more benefits of working at Apple, such as programs that match your charitable contributions, reimburse you for continuing your education and give you special employee pricing on Apple products.
- Apple benefits programs vary by country and are subject to eligibility requirements.
- Apple is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We take affirmative action to ensure equal opportunity for all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, Veteran status, or other legally protected characteristics. Apple is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to applicants with physical and mental disabilities. Apple is a drug-free workplace.