Performance Modeling Intern
Saint Albans, Hertfordshire, United Kingdom
Imagine what you could do here. At Apple, new ideas have a way of becoming extraordinary products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish. Dynamic, amazing people and inspiring, innovative technologies are the norm here. The people who work here have reinvented entire industries with all Apple Hardware products. The same passion for innovation that goes into our products also applies to our practices strengthening our commitment to leave the world better than we found it. Join us to help deliver the next groundbreaking Apple product. Do you have the desire to seek out and solve exceedingly difficult challenges rather than the easy ones? Do you believe that truly valuable and meaningful accomplishments are the result of pushing the limits of perseverance? Do you believe that a world-class team with relentless drive can surpass even their own high expectations? We do! We are seeking highly motivated, innovative and confident individuals to join the GPU Performance Modeling Team; we work to advance exploration for the next generation of GPU architecture and micro-architecture. In this highly visible role, you will be at the centre of a chip design effort working with all disciplines, with a critical impact on getting high performant products to millions of Apple customers efficiently.
- An interest in computer architecture and micro-architecture
- Strong coding skills including object-oriented programming with C and C++
- Strong understanding of common data structures and algorithms
- Knowledge of performance simulation environments is beneficial
- Knowledge of software design patterns
- Knowledge of scripting languages such as Perl, Python or Ruby
- A motivated self starter and an ability to work with ambiguity
- Excellent communication skills and ability to analyse data
- Availability for 6 months or more
As an intern in the Performance Modeling Team, you will have impact in defining and optimising Apple's GPU micro-architecture. Through collaboration, you will seek out areas for improvement while collecting data and measurements that either confirm the idea or rule it out. You will collaborate with experienced designers in micro-architecture and RTL to assess the feasibility of ideas, refine ideas and create new ones. The role requires the analysis of interesting workloads across existing and new product categories to identify bottlenecks and opportunities for improvement. You will be architecting new simulator features and brainstorming novel ideas to boost simulation performance. You will collaborate with world-class GPU and SoC Architects to steer and improve the implementation of GPU simulators and performance models used for research, performance analysis and microarchitecture tuning. We also cross-collaborate as a larger architecture and performance team to maintain and improve the simulation environment and look for ways to boost the productivity of the entire team. In this role, you will be expected to: - Contribute towards performance modeling proposed architectural solutions and features - Gather, analyse and validate measured and simulated results to compare architectural design alternatives - Carefully analyse and present results to enable data specific architecture/design - Collaborate with multi-functional teams to develop architectural solutions
Education & Experience
Currently enrolled in your penultimate year of studies in a CE, EE, CS or related field.
- This position is a full-time internship and availability for 6 months or more is preferred.
- Apple is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We also take affirmative action to offer employment and advancement opportunities to all applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. Apple will not discriminate or retaliate against applicants who inquire about, disclose, or discuss their compensation or that of other applicants.