Modem and RF System Integration Engineer
San Diego, California, United States
Imagine what you could do here! At Apple, new insights have a way of becoming extraordinary products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish. Dynamic, inquisitive people and inspiring, innovative technologies are the norm here. The Wireless Communication group at Apple is a rapidly growing, high energy, results driven team. The team is responsible for the system design and integration of a Wireless IC solution. We are looking for a forward-thinking, motivated and hardworking System Engineer to be a part of Apple’s new product introduction process from prototype to mass production. In this role, you will be a key member of the system engineering team working on RF/Modem systems features such as gain/power control and bring-up/validation of the same in real silicon.
- This is an individual technical contributor role that requires 7+ years of hands-on experience in bring up, validation and characterization of wireless communication systems.
- Extensive experience evaluating a wireless chip including initial bring up of blocks, tuning of entire Tx and/or Rx chain, implementation/optimization of calibration procedures and validating the silicon at block, subsystem and system level using key performance indicators.
- In-depth knowledge of operation of lab equipment (protocol test equipment, spectrum analyzers, signal generators, power meters, etc.).
- Knowledge of communication system theory and signal processing to be able to design algorithms such as timing recovery, filter design, signal estimation and detection, automatic gain control, RF impairments estimation and correction, channel estimation, equalization, forward-error correction, OFDM, MIMO detection, etc.
- Experience with Matlab, Python, Shell scripting and/or C/C++.
- Knowledge of existing wireless standards (5GNR, 4G LTE, 3G (HSPA), 2G GSM, 802.11ad/ax/ay, Bluetooth/BLE).
- Full-stack system-level understanding and ability to comprehend and affect an improvement to multi-disciplinary processes of RF/PHY/L1/L2 a plus.
- Experience with multiple 4G/5G protocol test equipment (e.g., Keysight/Anritsu/R&S etc.) along with their test automation interfaces a plus.
- Excellent communication skills – both oral and written.
- Own the bring up, validation and characterization of various end-to-end features for an innovative SoC solution in both pre silicon simulation/emulation and post silicon lab environments. - Design, develop and implement end to end performance/KPI tests in the lab as well as help with optimization of various PHY/L1 algorithms to achieve the best performance in the silicon and correlate the results with simulation. - Help drive RF/analog design modifications as well as algorithm improvement for better end-to-end system performance and take it to high volume production.
Education & Experience
BS/MS/PhD in Electrical Engineering or equivalent experience is required.