Product Design Engineer - Design Validation
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Do you enjoy working in a lab environment and being part of a design team that will impact millions if not billions of people? If so, we want your help designing the next generation of products at Apple. The Product Design Validation (PDV) team is part of a hardware organization who influence new products early in the development cycle. Essentially we get to drive design decisions based off our efforts in the lab from our experiments. The ideal candidate should have an engineering background and exposure to a hardware design environment. You should be passionate about engineering principles and curious about how things work. A proven foundation of mechanical engineering first principles is critical with deep experience in mechatronics design, sensor integration, and data acquisition. You will be part of a collaborative team of multi functional partners focused on the design performance of our products and ultimately the customer experience. Excellent communication skills coupled with an enthusiastic, respectful and open minded approach to solving, debating and brainstorming are welcomed. Success in this role will require creativity, confidence, organization, and energy tempered by a sincere willingness to listen, learn, and understand what is needed from your designs.
- Experience in the use or design of test/measurement systems.
- Experience in applying engineering first principles to evaluate the performance of designs.
- Gathering and analyzing data with proficiency in Matlab, Python, Labview, Arduino, JMP or similar
- Experience using CAD and basic lab tools to enable the design and fabrication of test fixtures and measurement systems.
- ALSO VALUABLE, BUT NOT REQUIRED:
- An understanding of how to apply statistics to ensure the proper interpretation of your data.
- Familiarity with a wide variety of sensor technologies, data acquisition systems, and fundamental analog/digital signal processing techniques.
- PERSONAL SKILL SET:
- Self motivated to investigate and solve difficult problems
- Attention to detail
- Ability to clearly articulate issues quantitatively both verbally and with documentation
- Experience working in a multi-functional team / highly collaborative environment
- Ability to manage multiple projects at once and prioritize to meet timelines
- Flexibility and adaptability while working in a fast-paced and changing environment
- Apply a mix of technical and creative problem-solving skills to quickly design and build instrumented test and measurement systems. Support manual and automated data collection and analysis. - Apply a mix of measurement science and engineering analysis to gain an understanding of the static/dynamic inputs and system responses that drive design performance and ultimately impact the customer experience. - Establish trust based relationships with product design teams throughout Apple and apply your expertise to help them quickly identify the best design path.
Education & Experience
Minimum: BS in Mechanical Engineering or a similar technical discipline, with 2-5 years demonstrated ability Advanced degrees are valued but 2-5 years of applicable hands-on experience is still required
- This position will require domestic and international travel (5%+)