Plastic tooling engineer
Nanshan, Guangdong, China
Operations and Supply Chain
Imagine what you could do here. At Apple, great ideas have a way of becoming great products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish.
- · Position requires 10+ years in the mold making and molding industry.
- · Extensive experience in tooling design and manufacturing required.
- · Knowledge of plastic materials and design for manufacturing in terms of geometry and cosmetic quality.
- · Experience in developing plastic processing parameters.
- · Experience in managing complex development programs with overseas vendors (Asia) is preferred.
- · Excellent written and oral communication skills are necessary.
- · Frequent travel in Asia is required.
Lead the development of new plastic injection tooling projects to meet a wide range of product performance and cosmetic requirements. · Lead Apple suppliers to design and produce world-class plastic tooling. Manage tool design and build, tool and process development and tool qualification at the supplier. · Collaborate with supply management, product design, industrial design, and manufacturing engineering groups on material selection, design feasibility and aesthetics of new plastic part & tooling designs. · Serve as Apple’s internal plastic tooling and manufacturing expert by leveraging a thorough understanding of properties of various mold-making materials and tool component fabrication techniques. · Institute continuous process improvement measures from initial product design through production ramp of new products. · Proficient with the use of Design For Manufacturing, SPC, DOE and Six Sigma techniques. · Take the leading role in driving the improvement of productivity and quality of plastic part manufacturing, molding and tooling techniques. · Train engineers at supplier plants in Asia to utilize new tooling materials and fabrication techniques. · Develop collaborative relationships with Apple suppliers through training and quality control visits. · Advise supplier plants on maintaining correct controls on the processes. BS or MS Plastics Engineer preferred
Education & Experience
BS or MS Plastics Engineer preferred