Database Engineer (Mysql/Oracle)
Austin, Texas, United States
Software and Services
Imagine what you could do here. At Apple, outstanding ideas have a way of becoming great products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish. Come help build high-performance, highly scalable and available database systems that support Apple’s current and future growth. We've built an environment where we can drive innovation! If this sounds exciting we'd invite anyone to please read ahead! We the Data Services Team are looking for a passionate Database Engineer who has 5 or more years of experience for its Austin office. As a Database Engineer we engineer solutions for multiple database technologies we use and will be responsible for fast-paced, sophisticated distributed database environments supporting OLTP systems across multiple platforms. A strong candidate will be able to rapidly troubleshoot sophisticated technical problems in diverse and multifaceted environments, implement solutions that are massively scalable, while leading multiple customer groups. Solid understanding of MySQL Database concepts, strong administration experience, and excellent interpersonal communication skills are required.
- 5 years experience working as a DBA or Database Engineer with MySQL/Oracle/MariaDB/Aurora MySQL
- 5+ years of MySQL administration, including but not limited to the following areas: InnoDB configuration, performance tuning, query optimization, index tuning, and setup and configuration of backups, high availability and disaster recovery solutions
- 3+ years of Linux administration experience, including performing hands-on work in networking, hardware, virtualization, containers, scripting, and IO subsystems
- 2+ years of performing the following types of engagements: architecture and design reviews, DB security, performance audits, and database migrations
- Proficiency in at least one of the following languages: PHP, Java, NodeJS, Go, Python, Ruby
- Production-based experience with both on-premise and cloud environments, including with customers that run database environments across multiple datacenters/regions, and lead large datasets
- Deep knowledge of database architecture, database modeling, high availability, data storage with enterprise management processes.
- Experience in data replication and intimate knowledge on the intricacies of data replication
- Strong attention to detail and passionate analytical, data driven approach to debugging of database platforms
- Strong grasp of Linux systems, networking, and security.
- Approach automation with "Build it once, fix it everywhere" thought process.
- Experience with containerization technology like Kubernetes with respect to database technology is a plus.
- Fundamental knowledge of hardware components and their impact on database technologies - storage, controllers, network interfaces, CPU and memory.
- Experience with technologies like Galera / XtraDB Cluster, HAProxy, ProxySQL, Orchestrator.
- Experience with Nagios, Percona Monitoring Plugins, Prometheus, and other monitoring tools.
- Experience of configuration management solutions such as Ansible, Puppet or Chef.
- Experience with tools from the Percona Toolkit suite.
- Demonstration of active thought leadership in the MySQL/MariaDB community (blogs, conference talks, etc.)
- Ability to read and interpret MySQL code for the purpose of debugging and troubleshooting
- Cross-over experience with MongoDB, PostgreSQL or ClickHouse
- Experience working with cloud-native applications and containerization technologies e.g. Docker and Kubernetes
Design, architect, build and continuously develop highly available database infrastructure. Work closely along Application team in advancing their critical initiatives. Support various load tests from Application teams during ramp up period. Support various database maintenance activities like Database Upgrades, Patch Management, User Management and backups. Develop innovation, strategies, processes and standard methodologies. Build Automation for repeating database task. Implement industry-wide standard methodologies and daily health checks with in host server and database environments. Work closely with Internal Infra teams on infra strategies, operational readiness, engineering standards and designs.
Education & Experience
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience