Optical Hardware Development Engineer (Optical Characterization)
Singapore, Singapore, Singapore
Imagine what you could do here. At Apple, new ideas have a way of becoming phenomenal products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish! The success we are striving will be the result of very skilled people working in an environment which cultivates creativity, partnership, and thinking of old problems in new ways. If that sounds like the kind of environment that you find intriguing, then let's talk! We design, develop, and launch next-generation Sensor Technologies in Apple products. The Sensor Hardware team develops sensor solutions and technologies for a variety of Apple products such as iPhones, iPads, and Macs. The key goal of the Sensor Technology team is to enable the world’s best user-experience. New challenges arise every day that require the sharp problem-solving skills of hardworking and experienced individuals. The team features a collaborative and hands-on environment that fosters engineering excellence, creativity, and innovation. We are looking for Optical Hardware Development Engineers with strong background in optical design, characterization, data analysis, and system-level troubleshooting to help develop new sensors and sensing systems for future Apple products. Join us in crafting solutions the world doesn't know of yet.
- Multi-disciplinary understanding of optics, general physics principles and basic EE concepts.
- Strong opto-electrical experience on lab measurement, characterization, and failure mode analysis, to drive key design feedbacks and decisions.
- Expertise in ground-up development of custom setups leveraging advanced tools in optical / electrical metrology, including oscilloscopes, function generators, spectrometers, free-space optics, cameras detectors (and associated analog signal conditioning/amplification), etc. Hands-on alignment experience is a plus.
- Competency with Matlab or Python or C for modeling, automation, data acquisition, and data analysis.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, and solid teamwork and leadership skills
- Experience with ray-tracing software (LightTools, Zemax, etc) and custom fixture mechanical design (SolidWorks, AutoCAD, etc) is a plus
- Industry experience in miniaturized optical systems design, validation, and volume manufacturing support is preferred.
- Design and develop groundbreaking optical sensor solutions from concept to production - Design, build, qualify, and operate custom characterization tools for optical system design and performance validation. - Product and system simulation/analysis using a variety of software tools to support engineering development, validation and characterization (e.g., LightTools, Zemax, Lumerical, Matlab, JMP etc.). - Lead hypothesis-driven failure analysis to provide design feedback to a cross-functional team including mechanical engineers, optical designers, and manufacturing experts. - Support root cause analysis with opto-electrical simulation using in-house tools or commercial packages such as LightTools, Spice, COMSOL, etc. - Drive and validate corrective actions with cross-functional teams and suppliers via design of experiments and build data analysis, to enhance product design/manufacturability - Author regular technical communications for executive and cross-functional briefings - Overseas travel to support product development and supplier teams as necessary, when consistent with government guidance on business travel.
Education & Experience
M.S/Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering, Optics or Physics; or B.S. with 5+ years relevant work experience.