Reliability Engineer - Hardware
Cork, County Cork, Ireland
Imagine what you could do here. At Apple, new ideas have a way of becoming extraordinary products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish! Dynamic, smart people and inspiring, innovative technologies are the norm here. The people who work here have reinvented entire industries with all Apple Hardware products. The same passion for innovation that goes into our products also applies to our practices strengthening our commitment to leave the world better than we found it. Join us to help deliver the next groundbreaking Apple product! Do you love working on challenges that no one has solved yet? As a member of our dynamic group, you will have the unrivaled and rewarding opportunity to craft upcoming products that will delight and inspire millions of Apple’s customers every single day. As a Product Reliability Engineer within a hardware design environment, you will help to guide and validate design for reliability of state of the art electromechanical systems. We are a cross-functional product development team. The position requires a hands-on approach, a can-do attitude, a real passion for solving complex problems, and the ability to make smart decisions about new technology. For this role, you will need to have experience performing reliability testing including mechanical stress/shock /drop vibration testing and Environmental testing. Ideally, you will come with consumer electronics experience preferred but not required. Other industries that tend to translate well are medical, automotive, aerospace and other fields with relevant technology and development models. You will gain international experience as you will work on a global manufacturing team.
- You will have demonstrated ability as a reliability/durability engineer in a R&D environment.
- Experience defining reliability specifications, executing reliability tests, and assessing reliability performance using statistical methods.
- Experience performing reliability testing including mechanical stress/shock /drop vibration testing and Environmental testing.
- Extraordinary analytical skills.
- Working knowledge of mechanical and electronic systems.
- Familiarity with analysis of materials using metrology equipment.
- Application of DOE and FMEA.
- Ability to analyse and draw conclusions from large data sets.
- Knowledge of product test software and hardware.
- Self-motivated to investigate and take on hard problems.
- Ability to clearly articulate issues quantitatively both verbally and with documentation.
- Experience within a cross-functional team / highly collaborative environment.
- Ability to coordinate multiple projects at once, prioritise and complete tasks to meet deadlines.
- Willingness to give and receive constructive feedback and take necessary action.
- Flexibility and adaptability while working in a fast-paced and dynamic environment.
Develop reliability / durability requirements & specifications. Lead cross-functional FMEA (failure mode and effects analysis) activity to identify risks early in the design phase. Execute validation test plans and DOE (design of experiments) for durability performance characterisation. Develop test methods for new technologies based on physics of failure and expected field usage. Identify the necessary test tools & equipment, and required specifications, for validation testing. Work with local and international suppliers to bring-up reliability test capabilities. Compile validation test planning and execution. Assess reliability through statistical analysis of stress test data and failure analysis . Troubleshoot first level failure analysis, and maintenance of device under test. Work towards corrective actions for reliability issues. Document specifications, test methods, and results. Present results and status updates to engineering and executive teams. This position will require some international travel.
Education & Experience
We prefer a BS in engineering, computer science or other technical discipline. A Masters or PhD would be highly valued.