C++ Compiler Engineer
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Software and Services
The C Languages & Libraries and Security Tools teams at Apple are looking for software engineers to develop and enhance the Clang compiler. Clang is a core part of Apple's developer tools, used internally to build Apple's software stack and externally by millions of developers. Because our tools are our products, our team has the unique opportunity to improve our own development environment daily as we build software for our millions of users. Our team strives to build a diverse, balanced, and dynamic environment.
- Expertise in C++ language design and compiler implementation
- Ability to write safe and high performing code with C/C++
- Familiarity with the overall design of compilers
- Passion for improving compilers and developer tools
- Patient, user-focused decision-making
- Strong communication and teamwork skills
- Positive and respectful attitude in a diverse environment
In this position, you will enhance the Clang compiler to add C++ language features to improve the stability, performance, and security of Apple platforms. You will work with security engineers and operating system engineers across Apple to help shape the future of our platform, languages and tools. You will be involved in all aspects of taking a language feature from concept and implementation to deployment. You will have the opportunity to understand and improve the interplay between the compiler, the operating system, and other developer tools such as build systems, debuggers, and source editors. You’ll join a small and focused team, but also work closely with the software engineering organization within Apple. You will also be an active contributor to the llvm.org (http://llvm.org/) open source project and interact with the open source community and various programming language communities. Here you’ll find that we: • Have a peaceful work environment where you can choose when to socialize and when to close your office door and focus. • Provide technical guidance, software architectural review, and mentorship. • Have an encouraging and growth-focused workplace culture. • Encourage you to use accrued vacation time and maintain a healthy work-life balance. • Offer excellent benefits. The position is based onsite at Apple's campus in Cupertino, California. International candidates are welcome to apply but will need to relocate; the company will sponsor a visa. You should have skills in multiple of the listed areas, but expertise in all of them is not required.
Education & Experience
B.S. in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- • Experience working across organizational boundaries is a plus.
- • Knowledge of LLVM/Clang or open source development is a plus but not a prerequisite.
- • Knowledge of security and exploitation techniques is a plus but not a requirement.
- • If possible, we’d love to see an example of your relevant work, such as a personal project or open source contribution.