Boulder, Colorado, United States
Apple is looking for a highly motivated Optical Engineer to join a groundbreaking team working on new product development.
- High degree of proficiency in designing and building prototype optical “breadboard” systems
- Proficiency in at least one or more optical modeling tools such as LightTools, Zemax, etc. Some CAD software familiarity is also a plus
- Demonstrated hands-on experience in areas of image quality measurements (MTF, optical source characterization, uniformity, and radiometry measurements)
- Develops test systems to measure optical performance of components, subassemblies and assemblies
- Experience with broad range of optical systems (interferometers, LED, lasers, optical breadboarding alignment techniques)
- Hands-on experience with Matlab and Python for tool interface, data collection, and analysis
- Flexible and collaborative, willing to work in fast paced product and technology development prototype assembly line
This position will span the technological space between research and product development and requires a broad range of skills and adaptability to a variety of optical systems. We are seeking scientific thinkers who can reduce to practice methods of evaluating novel optical mechanisms for a variety of applications. We are seeking a person with both strong optical lab skills as well as a working knowledge of optical modeling software in a design package such as Zemax, LightTools, etc. This person will have proficiency in designing and setting up experimental optical systems from the ground up to demonstrate early feasibility of new concepts that are being explored and then have the ability to model that same system and evaluate modeled performance versus actual. A working knowledge of diffractive optics, Fourier optics, communications, and/or signal processing is a plus. We encourage self-directed work teams and require everyone to be highly self motivated. A successful candidate needs to be flexible, receptive to ideas from others, team oriented, and willing to work with technologists, engineers and others for continuing to push the technology envelope. Expect this work to include interfacing with cross-functional teams responsible for designing and producing exciting new technologies in a variety of applications.
Education & Experience
PhD or MS with 5+ years of experience in optical engineering.
- If you are a Colorado resident, this is for you:
- At Apple, we see the whole you. We carefully consider a wide range of compensation factors, including your background and experience. These considerations can cause your compensation to vary. Optical Engineer starts at a minimum annual salary of $91,800. The actual pay may be higher depending on your skills, qualifications, and experience. Additionally, this role might be eligible for discretionary bonuses or commission payments as well as relocation. Every Apple employee also has the opportunity to become an Apple shareholder, because all team members are eligible for stock grants and also a discount when purchasing Apple stock.
- We offer all kinds of ways to experience well-being, confidence, and satisfaction. Learn more about Apple benefits.
- Note: Apple benefits programs are subject to eligibility requirements.