Austin, Texas, United States
The Edge Services Retail Engineering team is looking for a Linux SRE or Architect with leadership skills, who is passionate about improving existing systems and solving sophisticated business problems. The group’s charter is to build extraordinary services on reliable platforms to enrich user experiences at Apple’s 510+ retail stores and corporate office sites. This work involves optimizing, improving, and scaling global deployments for Linux based servers, automating workflows, and handling virtualized computing environments that run content caching/delivery network services (CDN), software based network routers and firewalls, virtual DNS appliances, DHCP, virtual machines for Point of Sale (POS), and other critical services. A good background in Linux operating system performance management, deep understanding of the networking stack, expertise with computing hardware components, and system level debugging skills, are important to succeed in this role. Superb communication, influencing, and being a collaborative teammate are required to be effective. ***This position can be based in Austin, TX / Cary, NC / Dallas, TX / Elk Grove, CA***
- 12+ years in a lead role as a Linux SRE or Architect.
- Extensive experience with Linux operating systems (especially RHEL) and compatible systems.
- Proficient with server hardware virtualization technologies (KVM hypervisor, containers).
- Expertise related to DevOps engineering including version control systems (GitHub, SVN), automated build and testing (Jenkins, Vagrant).
- Experience with any configuration management tool (e.g. Puppet, Salt, Chef, Ansible).
- Experience automating workflows with Python, Unix Shell script, Golang or C.
- Detailed knowledge of x86-based computing hardware and component selection to meet specific performance goals.
- Solid knowledge of the operating system networking stack, Linux bridges and network interface drivers, TCP/IP (IPV4/IPV6).
- Understanding of DNS and DHCP is a plus.
- Experience leading solutions design discussions, communicating roadmaps, and mentoring others.
- Strong debugging skills in O/S and Networks.
Your main responsibility will be to evaluate problems or opportunities, architect the right solutions, lead production implementations, and handle our critical services such as virtualized network routers, firewalls, wireless controllers, DNS, DHCP, and Content Delivery Networks (CDNs) located at edge sites globally. The role will involve assessing business requirements, collaborating with multi-functional teams and external partners, automating workflows, doing data analysis to provide data driven technical recommendations, diagnosing sophisticated issues to identify root causes, mitigating risks, and driving results. It will also involve researching on new technologies and communicating 3-5 year product roadmaps & strategies to management!
Education & Experience
Bachelors or MS in Computer Science or related field or 12+ years of related experience. Technical certifications are a plus.
- This position can be based in Austin, TX / Dallas, TX / Elk Grove, CA / Cary, NC!