System Validation Engineer
Austin, Texas, United States
The Infrastructure Services (IS) Hardware Development Team is seeking an upbeat and hard-working system validation engineer to develop, implement, and complete validation plans for Apple’s next generation Hyperscale server and Storage Server platforms. As a key member of our validation team, you will have the outstanding and great opportunity to be responsible for validating, reviewing, and debugging the customized platforms that fit within Apple's future application and datacenter environments. These platforms are the bedrock of the internet services that will delight and encourage millions of Apple’s customers every day! This engineer should have validated proficiency in testing Intel and/or AMD based server and storage hardware systems. We are looking for an engineer that has good understanding of server architecture and have experience developing and carrying out test plans and tools to validate servers and racks from a functional, performance, power, thermal, OS, and error handling ability. You will be required to formulate and run tests that ensure the system designs are functional and operate as specified. One must also have proven leadership and technical competence in driving debug efforts throughout the server development phases where multiple issues are being concurrently investigated. You must also be able to prioritize issues and work across the various design teams (Electrical, Firmware, Mechanical, Thermal, Power, etc). The candidate must be a strong communicator and leader and must have experience working with global teams and ODMs. Knowledge of Linux, scripting, and object-oriented programming is a must and familiarity with Python is a plus.
- Experience performing system testing: stress testing, performance testing, power and thermal testing, OS and driver compatibility testing, etc.
- Ability to fix and debug system issues
- In-depth, solid understanding of Linux and Linux system administrator functions (driver install, firmware update, OS configuration, etc)
- Experience using stress tools and benchmarks to evaluate system behavior and identify patterns and test cases that rapidly expose design flaws
- Experience defining and performing test cases for evaluating system/rack power conditions
- Experience working with IPMI and IPMITool
- Experience in crafting Python scripts to complete and automate tests
- Ability to identify and develop tools that can expand test coverage
- Experience working in both ODM and OEM environments
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills - ability to summarize/prioritize sophisticated data and present it clearly
- Able to work alone and as a team on preparing, implementing, and maintaining validation test plans and procedures
- Familiarity with Intel and/or AMD server architecture
- System Validation Engineer for the Hardware Development team - Responsible for crafting and completing the system validation plans for IS hardware platforms, commodities, components, and firmware - Engages with ODMs and vendors to successfully validate all aspects of the IS hardware platforms - Reviews and audits ODM validation reports to ensure consistency to specifications - Performs system level validation to identify any issues or weaknesses in design - Works closely with electrical, firmware, and hardware validation engineers to debug, root cause and resolve issues - Maintains familiarity with industry technology and identifies and develops equipment, tools, and capabilities required to support validation of new technology - Engages with partnering teams to efficiently transition systems from development into production and sustaining
Education & Experience
BS Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Computer Engineering or equivalent experience.