Optical Software Engineer
Boulder, Colorado, United States
From the Macintosh computer to the iPhone, Apple has a history of creating revolutionary consumer products. Display team at Apple is looking for a dedicated software developer who will help continue this trend by supplying to an in-house software package. This software will enable our designers to develop the next generation of Apple products. If you have a passion for crafting innovative algorithms and learning new physics, then we would like to hear from you.
- Adept in C++ and Python
- Background in 3D computational geometry and numerical methods
- Understanding of optics with experience developing a ray tracer
- Good analytic and problem solving skills
- Able to create software solutions and algorithms for physical systems
- Capable of working with a large code base and willing to refactor aspects of the software as requirements evolve
- Optimally communicate with both developers and users to improve and expand the code
You will use your software experience to help create a software package that has the speed, physics, and usability required for our designers to explore novel display architectures. You will need to chip in to our code base by creating software and algorithms that efficiently and accurately model physical systems. The position requires excellent programming skills with expertise in statically compiled languages (C/C++) and dynamically interpreted languages (Python/Matlab). Additionally, you will need to collaborate with immediate team members and the product designers to continually improve and expand upon the code.
Education & Experience
Bachelor’s or higher degree in a CS, mathematics, engineering, or equivalent with 5+ years of experience in a related field having a focus on numerical computation.
- Preferred Qualifications:
- - Knowledge of professional software development tools and practices
- - Experience with NURBS
- - Experience developing software for multiple operating systems
- - Experience modeling electromagnetic fields
- - Machine learning experience
- - Familiarity with OpenCL/CUDA
- - Knowledge of parallel computing techniques
- If you are a Colorado resident, this is for you:
- At Apple, we see the whole you. We carefully consider a wide range of compensation factors, including your background and experience. These considerations can cause your compensation to vary. Optical Software Engineer starts at a minimum annual salary of $91,800. The actual pay may be higher depending on your skills, qualifications, and experience. Additionally, this role might be eligible for discretionary bonuses or commission payments as well as relocation. Every Apple employee also has the opportunity to become an Apple shareholder, because all team members are eligible for stock grants and also a discount when purchasing Apple stock.
- We offer all kinds of ways to experience well-being, confidence, and satisfaction. Learn more about Apple benefits.
- Note: Apple benefits programs are subject to eligibility requirements.