Media Production Engineer
Newport Beach, California, United States
Apple is looking for a Media Production Engineer with a track record of delivering outstanding video, audio and IT engineering support for live cinematic productions. Operating in many of the same capacities as a traditional Engineer In Charge (EIC) in the live industry, the Media Production Engineer will be responsible for the technical operation and management of various OB trucks, flight packs, production operations centers, studios and other media production systems in support of live, immersive entertainment, across all genres. The Engineer will be the go-to technical resource for identifying future production trends to ensure the content creation systems always exceed the creative, technical and rigorous quality standards required of each Apple production. If working with cutting edge technology and supporting exciting, zero-down time, ‘failure is not an option’ productions sounds familiar and exciting, this could be the opportunity you’ve been working towards.
- 5+ years of experience working in the following areas:
- Engineering professional grade systems such as OB production trucks, flight packs, transmission operation centers, or film/audio studios for high profile live sports, music, or entertainment productions.
- Hands on experience working with UHD, HDR, HFR, and IP based production systems.
- Technical commissioning, user operation, and in-situ troubleshooting of media production hardware, software and protocols typical of cinematic production environments.
- Conducting quality control of all live production elements such as camera and audio feeds, serial and IP data, graphics, and encoded contribution feeds.
- Excellent troubleshooting skills while under time and resource constraints with strong prioritization and triage skills.
- Working in international, highly metropolitan, and underdeveloped locations as key technical production staff. (This role requires 50%+ travel both domestically & internationally. It will be physically demanding at all times.)
The Media Production Engineer will join a team of R&D and creative stakeholders tasked with producing a wide variety of projects and genres for Apple. In support of these efforts, this individual will exercise their live production engineering expertise for initial system design, deployment, on-site operation, and post-operational support of various media production technologies used to enable live and cinematic content capture. Leading up to and during each production, you will work closely with the Production Engineering, Immersive R&D, and Content Teams to ensure the creative vision of each production is well supported by exciting and cutting edge technical solutions. As a primary technical resource for each event, the Engineer will find themselves actively involved with the technical care & operation of mobile OB units, flight packs, field AV infrastructure, operations centers, and other media production systems in highly dynamic and time critical live environments. The Engineer will be expected to troubleshoot complex technological and creative workflow challenges in real time, while working closely with production staff to clearly communicate issues and offer solutions on the fly, guaranteeing a production’s success when things go wrong and ‘plan B’ is insufficient. Off show-cycle, the Media Production Engineer will serve as a domain expert and a savvy, hands-on technician in their field, keeping up on the latest and greatest in media production technology to engineer improvements to current workflow, bring up of R&D and test systems, as well as work with a wide variety of internal and external engineering teams and technology vendors to drive innovation in next generation media production capabilities.
Education & Experience
Bachelors degree or equivalent work experience
- - Strong IT skills as applicable to typical engineering tasks - Layer 2 and Layer 3 IP networking and standards, IPv4 addressing, multicast routing, PTP, SNMP, and IGMP,
- - Strong familiarity with SMPTE 2110 IP and traditional SDI workflows
- - Experience working with professional grade production tools included but not limited to: video switchers, media routers, graphics engines, audio consoles, comms systems, video replay, NLE & DAW systems, media encoders & transport mechanisms, monitoring & telemetry, fiber based A/V transport
- - Experience with ‘ground up’ system design and system integration
- - Experience in REMI (remote integration) based production environments
- - QC of media signals in a live environment for noise, compression artifacts, sensor based issues, quantization errors, aliasing, audio/video sync, etc.