Sr. Data Engineer, Core Services, Apple Media Products
Seattle, Washington, United States
Software and Services
The people here at Apple don’t just build products — they build the kind of wonder that’s revolutionized entire world. It’s the diversity of those people and their ideas that inspires the innovation that runs through everything we do, from amazing technology to industry-leading environmental efforts. Join Apple, and help us leave the world better than we found it. The Apple Media Products Core Services team is looking for a data engineer to help build features that will enhance the experience of using these services for our millions of customers around the world. We work on building and enhancing large-scale systems using distributed data stores with a strong focus on scalability and performance. We partner with a variety of cross and multi-functional team members from a diverse array of groups across the company. You will join a hands-on development team that fosters creativity and creates novel solutions based on engineering excellence. Be a part of an innovative impactful team making a difference.
- Proven experience working on large data systems and distributed computing such as Hadoop and Spark.
- Proficiency in using query languages like SQL, Hive and SparkSQL.
- Experience using high-throughput, distributed message queuing systems such as Kafka.
- Experience with programming languages such as Java and Scala.
- Experience with cross-platform file formats such as Apache Parquet.
- Experience with Continuous Integration, Version Control such as git.
- Experience with entity-relationship modeling and understanding of normalization.
- Experience maintaining a large software system and writing a test suite.
- DESIRED EXPERIENCE
- Familiar with the concepts of dimensional modeling.
- Experience with data visualization tools, such as Tableau, GGplot, etc.
- Experience with programming languages such as Python, Clojure and R.
You will be a part of the server team that manages the content metadata systems that support App Store, Apple Arcade, Apple Music, Apple TV+, Fitness+, Apple Books, and Podcast. We provide content metadata from the online content systems that we manage, and from feeds that we produce and are consumed by various partners both inside and outside of Apple. In this role, you will be responsible for modeling content metadata and generating feeds of the metadata to meet the needs of our partners. You will be enhancing our ETL platform (which runs on Spark and is written in Clojure) to efficiently produce feeds in a timely manner to avoid push-to-live delays. You will also be extending our ETL platform to be more expressive in what kinds of transformations are possible to meet new requirements. You are expected to work with our partners to understand how to integrate with them, collect and define requirements, and build solutions to meet the requirements. If you aren't afraid to question assumptions, work with great teammates (sometimes under tight deadline), and build innovative solutions, then we are looking for you!
Education & Experience
BS or MS in Computer Science, plus 7 years proven experience in related field required.