Senior DevOps Engineer - Open Source
Imagine what you could do here. At Apple, excellent ideas have a way of becoming exciting products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job, and there's no telling what you could accomplish! We use the latest in open source technology to address internet-scale problems. Our team is responsible for providing new architectures and scalability solutions to enable teams to launch new Apple applications and services. We are looking for a passionate NoSQL Engineer to help run large-scale data store environments. An individual can go to the depths to solve sophisticated problems and curiosity to explore and learn new technologies for innovative solutions. If you love to tackle internet scale challenges, this is the right job! Open to relocation to: Austin, TX Elk Grove, CA Seattle, WA Dallas, TX Denver, CO Raleigh, NC
- Commanding knowledge and experience working with any Open Source NoSQL technologies Cassandra, Solr, Elasticsearch, Redis, Couchbase etc
- Experience with modern debugging and root cause analysis techniques
- Experience with Kubernetes and standard observability tools (New Relic, Splunk, Prometheus, Jaeger, Open Telemetry, etc.)
- Experience with DevOps tools such as Jenkins, SonarQube, Artifactory
- Deep understanding of cluster management areas, such as scaling, consistency tuning, replication, and multi-datacenter configuration
- Experience in performance monitoring and storage performance optimization, tuning database server configurations, queries, and indexes
- Robust data modeling and data structure design skills
- Drive automation, Chaos Engineering initiatives, defining critical metrics (SLIs/SLOs/SLAs), reducing MTTR and MTTD, improving end-to-end observability
- Experience in designing systems for High Availability, Disaster Recovery, Performance, Efficiency, and Security
- Knowledge and experience in working with CI/CD technologies like Gitlab, Terraform, Docker/Kubernetes, and cloud monitoring using Splunk/Elasticsearch a considerable plus
- Confirmed understanding of centralized configuration management, orchestration, and infrastructure as code techniques.
- Validated understanding of network protocols, Linux/Unix system internals, and transport protocols.
- Infrastructure as Code experience. You have experience in leading, building, and scaling secure large-scale services & systems using tools such as Terraform, Pulumi, and CDK on different cloud providers like AWS and GCP.
- Proficient with languages such as Python/Go/Java for automation or integration with multiple APIs (REST).
- Excellent time management skills and adhering to tight schedules and handle the pressure of executive requests and product launches.
We are the team that provides data stores as a service Apple-wide working with iCloud, Software Engineering, Hardware Engineering, AI/ML, Apple Media Products, Siri, Maps, Retail, Online Stores, etc. The engineer will be responsible for optimal performance, stability, and availability of multi-tiered systems. This position requires a passionate individual who likes big-scale challenges, innovates on sophisticated tasks, and can creatively think out of the box to develop different technology solutions or architectures to meet business requirements. Please have your resume highlighting the value provided by you in terms of performance, efficiency, business challenges solved in the NoSQL technologies area.
Education & Experience
BS/MS in Computer Science or equivalent
- - Languages: In depth hands on experience with Java and Python
- - Familiarity with micro services and cloud technologies like AWS, GCP and Kubernetes
- - Tools: JVM Tuning tools, OS Performance and Debugging
- If you are a Colorado resident, this is for you:
- At Apple, we see the whole you. We carefully consider a wide range of compensation factors, including your background and experience. These considerations can cause your compensation to vary. The Senior DevOps Engineer - Open Source position starts at a minimum annual salary of $142,100. The actual pay may be higher depending on your skills, qualifications, and experience. Additionally, this role might be eligible for discretionary bonuses or commission payments as well as relocation. Every Apple employee also has the opportunity to become an Apple shareholder, because all team members are eligible for stock grants and also a discount when purchasing Apple stock.
- We offer all kinds of ways to experience well-being, confidence, and satisfaction. Learn more about Apple benefits.
- Note: Apple benefits programs are subject to eligibility requirements.