Imaging and Sensing Incubation - Systems Hardware Architect
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
We live in a mobile and device driven world where knowledge of the physical world around us is needed. We rely on this knowledge to get around, to learn about our environment and to enable spectacular new features for custom applications. Apple is meeting those needs as robustly and as creatively as possible and is interested in people who want to help meet that commitment. The success we are striving will be the result of very skilled people working in an environment which cultivates creativity, partnership, and thinking of old problems in new ways. If that sounds like the kind of environment that you find intriguing, then let's talk. These elements come together to make Apple an amazing environment for motivated people to do the greatest work of their lives. You will become part of a team that sets the standard in fostering excellence, creativity and innovation. Will you help us design the next generation of revolutionary Apple products? Imaging and Sensing Incubation has a growing team that develops ideas and design solutions for user experience and new technologies for Apple products, including the iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, MacBooks, and more. Our team plays a key role in creating ideas and mechanical hardware for early systems that integrate new technology for demo, experience development, data collection and feature development. New challenges arise every day that require the sharp analytical skills of talented and smart individuals. We have a collaborative, inclusive, and hands-on environment that cultivates engineering excellence, creativity, and innovation. You will contribute your own unique talents by working with engineers, designers, and scientists to realize prototype concepts that synthesize electrical, mechanical and software components. Come, join us in crafting best-in-class solutions!
- Experienced, dedicated engineer with great initiative and a proven track record of developing sophisticated systems from initial definition throughout the project life cycle
- Ability to quickly pick up and own new concepts and to contribute with innovative solutions
- Comfortable working through ambiguity
- Demonstrates deep understanding of system-level impact of design choices and good judgment in negotiating tradeoffs
- Employs guaranteed-by-design methodology for high performance system designs
- Strong troubleshooting and analytical skills
- Thorough, disciplined, methodical approach, with good documentation habits
- Standout colleague with exceptional conversational & written communication, negotiation & presentation skills
- Experience integrating cameras into system electronic and mechanical architecture, with an understanding of optics/sensor/image pipeline preferred.
The team is seeking a skilled Systems Architect to create high performance hardware systems supporting Computer Vision, Machine Learning, and Photography applications that break new ground in Technology and User Experience. Job responsibilities include requirements definition, architecture, coordinating multi-functional design & development, small- to medium-scale production, test & calibration, and support through the full system lifecycle. - Collaborate with computer vision algorithm teams as well as system & module teams to interpret and negotiate system hardware requirements - Propose and negotiate system architecture that can be multi-functionally supported in the timeframes necessary to meet program objectives - Perform system analysis, scoping, and resourcing & technical tradeoff evaluations - Coordinate multi-functional work & dependencies to align with dynamic project goals - Collaborate with cross-functional teams—including electrical, optical, mechanical, firmware, driver, and other software teams—on hardware design and processes and to enable coordinated software development - Define and build proof-of-concept and initial prototype hardware as needed - Coordinate and assist in bring-up, debug, production, test, calibration, and verification plans to ensure high quality systems are delivered - Thoroughly document and support each of above steps - Deliver executive level presentations of proposals, status, and decisions
Education & Experience
MS with 5+ years—or BS with 7+ years of relevant industry experience