Senior Renewable Energy Specialist
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
The people here at Apple don’t just create products — they create the kind of wonder that’s revolutionized entire industries. It’s the diversity of those people and their ideas that inspires the innovation that runs through everything we do, from amazing technology to industry-leading environmental efforts. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish! The Senior Renewable Energy Specialist will be responsible for sourcing, negotiating, and closing renewable energy transactions for the Global Energy & Sustainability team’s ongoing renewable energy initiatives. Apple is a global leader in corporate renewable energy, and our worldwide facilities have been powered by 100% renewable electricity for several years. With Apple’s commitment to complete carbon neutrality across our entire product lifecycle by 2030, we have much more work to do. The Global Energy & Sustainability team is focused on building a portfolio of renewable energy projects to address our Scope 3 emissions tied to global Apple device usage. We require an experienced renewable energy professional to help us source and negotiate deals on a global basis, conduct due diligence, bring them to close, and ensure they meet Apple’s high standards of financial and technical performance, as well as our environmental and social impact. The role requires deep collaboration with a broad range of Apple departments including finance, tax, corporate procurement, legal, government affairs, marketing and communications, environmental technologies, supply chain clean energy program, and the environment, policy, and social initiatives team. Position can be based in Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino, CA), San Diego, CA, or Portland, OR.
- Strong experience sourcing, negotiating, and closing renewable energy transactions globally.
- Deep knowledge of renewable energy development, including solar and wind technologies, environmental permitting, interconnection, and risk mitigation.
- Experience with a wide range of contract structures, including power purchase agreements, equity investments, renewable energy credit purchase agreements, utility green programs, and others.
- Working relationships with renewable energy developers and financiers across diverse geographies.
- Understanding of global renewable energy markets and policies.
- International renewable energy and climate change experience in major Asian, European, and/or North American markets. Africa and Latin America experience also a plus.
- Strong project management and time management skills to complete multiple priorities in a fast-paced global setting.
- Excellent spoken and written communication skills and ability to collaborate seamlessly with various colleagues in an unstructured environment.
- Creative, out-of-the-box thinking, grounded in real-life experience and pragmatic problem solving.
Apple’s Global Energy & Sustainability team expects to transact on several gigawatts of new renewable energy projects globally between now and 2030 to address a large fraction of our Scope 3 carbon footprint. We require a senior renewable energy professional as part of our team expansion to make this a reality. The ideal candidate will have deep experience negotiating power purchase agreements (PPAs), investments, utility transactions, renewable energy certificate (REC) purchases, and other typical renewable energy contract structures. Our Scope 3 emissions are dispersed throughout the globe, and our renewable energy needs are similarly diverse. Global experience is desired, and frontier market experience will be a plus. Our portfolio of activities ranges from traditional tax equity investments in the US and PPAs in Europe, to more novel structures in less mature markets. We seek an individual who can source and successfully drive a range of transactions to completion, yet who is creative and able to grasp new technologies, take on new geographies, and keep a firm eye on maximizing both the financial as well as environmental and social benefits of our work. We are a small team with a big mission. We strive to combine commercial savvy with idealism to help Apple leave the world better than we found it. We are seeking a go-to renewable energy authority who also loves the big picture and won’t hesitate to roll up their sleeves and help drive our team forward with innovation and passion.
Education & Experience
BA/BS degree in finance, economics, engineering, or other relevant field with 10+ years of global experience focused on renewable energy transactions, project development and electricity markets. Advanced degree preferred.