Motion Sensing Systems Engineer - Magnetics
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
The Motion Sensing team develops ground breaking sensors that are central to enabling MEMS and magnetics sensing technologies across a variety of Apple products such as iPhones, iPads, and Watch. This team features a collaborative environment with creative, smart people and state of the art technologies. Engineering excellence and thoroughness are expected and encouraged. In this role, you will play a key role in specifying, developing, characterizing, and validating magnetic sensors for motion sensing applications. You will collaborate with electrical, mechanical and software architects to ensure optimal sensor operation in products. You will apply modeling, simulation and measurement to solve system integration and coexistence challenges.
- 2+ years of hands-on experience and proven track record in hardware engineering.
- Experience in architecture, design, characterization, and validation of magnetic sensor or sensing technology.
- Familiar with magnetic sensing technologies, such as hall-effect, AMR, GMR, TMR, and inductive sensing.
- Proficiency in simulation tools (such as Ansys/COMSOL), scripting languages (such as Python/MATLAB), and statistical analysis software (such as JMP).
- Background and experience with automation for test and characterization.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with solid teamwork and leadership skills.
- The willingness and ability to travel are required.
Diagnose engineering issues with true scientific method driving to definitive root cause. Create models (analytical, empirical, and FEA) to improve sensor placement in-system and reduce coexistence risk. Identify and translate customer user experience into hardware level performance evaluation metrics. Develop measurement methods and equipment that are repeatable, reproducible, and automated as appropriate to enable thorough validation coverage of sensors on tight development schedules. Develop test and characterization software and scripts for verification. Support internal proof-of-concept hardware and software developments for new application investigations. Support engineering build activities with performance validation measurements, yield optimization, and failure analysis coordination. Prepare and deliver presentations to clearly communicate technical status, risks and mitigation strategies for ongoing sensing system programs. Evaluate and drive new sensor design, new technology investigation, manufacturing process development, and system integration. Engage and collaborate with internal cross-functional teams to deliver state-of-the-art sensing solutions. Travel to supplier facilities and manufacturing sites for production validation and issues resolution. Author high quality and thorough engineering requirements specifications for sensors.
Education & Experience
PhD degree in engineering, or Bachelor/MS degree in engineering plus a minimum of 2 years of relevant industry experience.
- Apple is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We also take affirmative action to offer employment and advancement opportunities to all applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. Apple will not discriminate or retaliate against applicants who inquire about, disclose, or discuss their compensation or that of other applicants.