Legal Counsel - Apple Media Services, Music and Video Services – Music Publishing
Culver City, California, United States
This role has potential flexibility to sit in either Cupertino, CA or Culver City, CA. Imagine what you could do here. At Apple, new ideas have a way of becoming great products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish. Do you love taking on big challenges without precedent? Do you possess a deep knowledge of the legal field and a passion for innovation? As a part of our Legal group, you’ll help uphold Apple’s high ethical and corporate standards, as well as defend our intellectual property. You’ll help provide legal support for all our products and businesses across the globe. Working for a company that invents entire categories and industries means you’ll be challenged to creatively apply your deep legal expertise to rare and often unexplored aspects of the law. Together with your team, you’ll provide the critical support needed worldwide for all Apple products and businesses. Apple Media Services’ Legal group supports Apple Music, Apple TV+ and Apple TV app, Apple Fitness+, Shazam, and other media and entertainment services worldwide. We are seeking to add to our team an exceptional transactional attorney with the primary focus of supporting the Music Publishing business unit that drives important aspects of Apple’s content products.
- 5+ years relevant experience working in digital music distribution, providing practical legal advice and negotiating content licensing and other transactions.
- Interest in digital media and internet-based distribution models.
- Experience in music copyright – particularly music publishing – rights clearances, and other areas of intellectual property law.
- Knowledge of regulatory and commercial issues surrounding music publishing rights.
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills.
- Understanding of music licensing, other digital content licensing, subscription models, music rights data flows, and digital supply chain issues is crucial.
- Adept at advising clients, including senior executives, on complex content- and technology-related legal issues and regulatory matters.
- Effective negotiator with strong business and problem-solving skills who is well versed in structuring licensing and other agreements.
- Ability to build client relationships and work collaboratively on cross-functional teams.
- Sound judgment, strong interpersonal skills, and the ability to handle a variety of matters at once in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience at a law firm and in-house with a music publisher, collecting society, rights management company, label, digital service provider, or other digital content company utilizing music publishing rights preferred.
The Apple Media Services legal team is responsible for the full range of legal work for domestic and international distribution through the world’s leading digital content platforms. In this role, you will work closely with cross-functional teams to draft and negotiate agreements, advise on business development and partner relations issues, and ensure compliance with third-party obligations, all consistent with Apple’s policies and practices and aligned with evolving strategic goals. You may find yourself providing legal guidance on licensing arrangements with music publishers, strategizing music rights administration, and advising on music rights considerations for a wide variety of Apple products. The successful candidate will be a diligent and dedicated negotiator, drafter, and counselor who can translate business objectives into agreements, give concise, practical legal advice under tight deadlines, and juggle a varied set of matters for Apple’s dynamic content businesses.
Education & Experience
JD, excellent academic credentials, and admission to at least one US state bar.