CVML Imaging Research Engineer
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Machine Learning and AI
The Camera and Photos team focuses on building engaging new tools and experiences for the capture, editing, and sharing of trillions of visual memories each year. Within this context, our Computational Imaging team provides the algorithms and image processing solutions that advance camera technology in iPhone and iPad every year. Combining ground breaking machine learning and computer vision techniques with next-generation hardware, our team takes the mobile photography experience to the next level. Recent developments that have reshaped the camera capture pipeline and aesthetic include high-level semantic understanding per frame, personalized photographic styles, and skin-tone-aware subject rendering. If you are passionate about finding and solving new problems that will push the capabilities of the modern camera, we have the job for you.
- Proven research and practical experience in developing computer vision and machine learning algorithms for computational photography or image/video processing
- A strong foundational understanding of machine learning, deep learning, and computer vision concepts
- Demonstrated experience identifying new industry problems and providing viable solutions to those problems
- Ability to collaborate in multi-functional teams, communicate effectively, and work through problems deeply and thoroughly
- Appreciation for concepts in photography, videography, and visual storytelling
- Excellent coding skills with Python and popular deep learning frameworks
- Experience with any of the following is a plus: Swift, Objective-C, Metal, OpenGL, OpenCL
Our team is seeking an extraordinary, driven, and innovative research scientist to work on special computer vision, machine learning, and image processing solutions. In this role you will research, design, and implement novel computational imaging algorithms to contribute to future iterations of Apple’s products. Daily responsibilities will include training and evaluating ML models, working with data teams on custom data collection efforts, and prototyping the end-to-end use case on device. You will also collaborate regularly with a broader group of engineers, image scientists, and photographers to build towards a new and dynamic vision of a smarter and more inclusive camera.
Education & Experience
PhD in Computational Imaging, Deep Learning, Computer Vision, Image Processing, or a related field; or equivalent industry experience.