Sr. Mechanical Engineer (Equipment Design)
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Apple is looking for a Sr. Mechanical Engineer to join the Panel Process and Optics (PPO) Engineering team. The role is responsible for designing and defining advanced mass production (MP) process equipment architectures that enable efficient, cost-effective, and innovative manufacturing technologies to solve complex design challenges that directly impact quality, and delivery of future Apple displays products. The individual in this role will serve as a focal point in the equipment development of advanced key process modules from the concept/architecture stage through product engineering validation builds. We work at a fast pace and require everyone to be highly self-motivated. A successful candidate needs to be a flexible thinker, work collaboratively with cross-functional teams, and be able to problem-solve outside of their respective technical area.
- Deep and broad knowledge of designing and developing equipment for display module processes, semiconductor packaging, or relevant industries.
- Several years of industrial experience in mechanical design of series and custom-made production equipment for automated process machines, coming from the display, semiconductor or battery industries, is an advantage.
- Several years of professional experience in computer vision and automation is a plus
- Successful track record of designing novel EQ architectures based on new process challenges and hands-on experience in MP EQ bring up in high-volume, fast-paced industries.
- Proficient in computer-aided-design (CAD) software packages such as NX
- Sound understanding and experience in capacity analysis, cycle time optimization, manufacturability improvement, automation, and production line integration
- Excellent communication skills and demonstrated leadership ability
- Excellent data handling, documentation, critical milestone creation, and organization skill
- Ability for International business travel to support project implementation and collaborate with external vendors for product manufacturing
Conceptualization and design of automation and process machines up to complete production assembly lines (incl. research, validation, and implementation of new techniques and technologies for high-speed continuous automation) Define new process EQ architectures and technical specifications according to application requirements and challenges Perform EQ design FMEA best practices and lead DFM review efforts Drive new EQ validation and qualification efforts via close and synergic collaborations with internal subject-matter-experts and engagements with external development partners Drive EQ commissioning Support EQ price calculations; ensure deadlines, cost targets are met and quality is maintained. Lead root cause and failure analysis and improvement path identification for issues related to new EQ technologies Provide early and ongoing manufacturing leadership to ensure new process is scalable for high volume. Cross-functional interaction with Product Design, Display Engineering, Display Operations, and international vendors Keep abreast of relevant industrial equipment and process manufacturing technology trends; evaluate and assess new EQ suppliers.
Education & Experience
Ph.D. M.S. or B.S. degree in Mechanical Engineering with 5+ years of industrial experience in equipment design in display, semiconductor, battery or related field preferred
- - Ability for International business travel to support project implementation and collaborate with external partners for product manufacturing