Haptic Interaction Designer
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
The Apple Design Team is looking for a haptic interaction designer to develop world-class haptic experiences in Apple products.
- Prior experience in multimodal design, tangible computing, sound or haptic design.
- Strong interest in understanding the sense of touch, psychophysics and human perception.
- Thorough understanding of both formal and informal design processes on creative projects.
- Empathy towards human experience and understanding of design/engineering/process constraints.
- Excellent cross-functional communication skills and aptitude for working collaboratively.
- Ability to balance speed and quality of work based on objectives.
- Experience with procedural approaches, generative design, dynamic & realtime rendering engines.
- Demonstrated understanding of human perception, psychophysics, experimental psychology, human factors and ergonomics.
- Interest in physical controls (knobs, buttons, switches), tangible interfaces and interactive systems connecting atoms and bits.
- Experience in evaluating, quantifying and/or measuring usage/performance of user interfaces.
- Experience of developing custom design tools, scripts and automated workflow processes.
- Experience with programming and electronics.
In this role, you will develop haptic experiences for the current and upcoming Apple products, alongside peer designers and engineers. Success in this position requires a willingness to work on intricate haptic design details, balancing design ideals and technical constraints, and rigor to accomplish the best possible design work given specific timelines. Core Responsibilities: •Design and refine haptic interactions in Apple products, from a multimodal perspective. •Develop experience specifications, guidelines and deliverables that engineers and other designers can work with. •Coordinate and harmonize experiences across product generations and product lines. •Prepare, conduct and contribute to design review activities with peers and executives. •Refine and develop design tools and processes to work with haptics.