Mechanical Research and Development Engineer - Health Technologies
San Diego, California, United States
The Health Technologies Team conceives and proves out exciting new technology for Apple’s future products and features. We are seeking a highly collaborative engineer to join an interdisciplinary team to help drive feasibility of health, wellness, and fitness sensors, systems, and applications.
- Mechanical design for consumer electronic devices
- Experience designing, manufacturing, and troubleshooting early prototype hardware
- Exposure to analog electronics, preferably mechatronic systems utilizing actuators, temperature sensors, strain gauges, or photodiodes
- Academic or Industrial research related to health/physiological signal sensing
- Intellectual versatility - we typically work on new technology and features, which means we are constantly learning about new domains
The Health Technologies Mechanical Engineering team contributes to Apple’s health efforts in three key areas: Physiological Research, Hardware prototype development, and Human studies. This role’s primary responsibilities are: Understanding needs of electromechanical sensor architectures and turning them into system requirements; Fabricating hardware prototypes and test systems for both bench testing and user studies that satisfy such requirements; Working with cross-functional teams to collect sensor and system performance data and interpret results. Typical fabrication techniques utilized will be: Machining, rapid prototyping, laser cutting, flexible/rigid printed circuit processes, roll to roll thin film techniques, and vapor deposition. Experience with all of these domains is highly sought, but not required. Preference will be given to candidates who possess both electronics and mechanical fabrication expertise. Travel of up to 20% time will be required. This will typically be between San Diego and Santa Clara Valley locations. Site visits to domestic and international manufacturing partners will also occur as needed.
Education & Experience
Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree +2 years professional experience PhD or equivalent