Software Engineer - Darwin Runtime
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Software and Services
The Darwin Runtime team in Core OS is looking for enthusiastic engineers interested in developing low-level system technologies for Apple’s operating systems. Darwin is the UNIX-like foundation at the heart of all Apple’s operating systems, stretching from the kernel up through low-level user components. The Darwin Runtime team is responsible for building the low-level user space runtime technologies like Grand Central Dispatch (GCD), inter-process communication (XPC), memory allocator, threading library, and concurrency and synchronization primitives. These technologies provide a high quality, robust, and performant foundation on which iOS and macOS frameworks and applications are developed. The ideal candidate should be self-motivated and effective in operating independently, with a desire to learn and develop technical leadership. Team members are welcome and encouraged to participate in design discussions, code reviews, and development across multiple technologies. The team is actively involved in defining OS architecture and design of cross-functional features that capitalize on Darwin technologies. Our environment fosters technical innovation, meaningful technology ownership, and a liberating amount of autonomy!
- Passion for low-level system technologies
- Fluency in the C programming language
- Experience with UNIX-like systems
- System design and architecture skills
- Strong understanding of operating system fundamentals like threading, synchronization primitives, inter-process communication, scheduling, and virtual memory
- Excellent collaborative skills, with the ability to work with a team to design system architecture
You will be responsible for working on a range of technologies that form the foundation of Apple’s operating systems. The work would include projects such as: - Design and implement new features and APIs for Darwin Runtime technologies like GCD, XPC, pthread, and malloc - Analyze Apple’s operating systems to understand the structure of the software and use that knowledge to make deep changes across the entire stack - Architect high-security environments to improve customer security and privacy An engineer in the Darwin Runtime team would regularly: - Participate in all phases of software development cycle: from problem definition and design, through implementation, testing, and debugging - Diagnose and resolve issues across different layers of the stack - Work with cross functional teams to enable developer and product requirements
Education & Experience
BS/MS in Computer Science or equivalent knowledge and experience
- - Knowledge of operating system implementation, hardware architecture and assembly programming
- - Knowledge of Swift or Objective-C
- - Skilled at interface and/or API design
- - Experience with lldb or gdb
- - Involvement in open source technologies and development communities such as Darwin, FreeBSD, Linux, etc.
- Apple’s most important resource, our soul, is our people. Apple benefits help further the well-being of our employees and their families in meaningful ways. No matter where you work at Apple, you can take advantage of our health and wellness resources and time-away programs. We’re proud to provide stock grants to employees at all levels of the company, and we also give employees the option to buy Apple stock at a discount — both offer everyone at Apple the chance to share in the company’s success. You’ll discover many more benefits of working at Apple, such as programs that match your charitable contributions, reimburse you for continuing your education and give you special employee pricing on Apple products.
- Apple benefits programs vary by country and are subject to eligibility requirements.
- Apple is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We take affirmative action to ensure equal opportunity for all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, Veteran status, or other legally protected characteristics. Apple is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to applicants with physical and mental disabilities. Apple is a drug-free workplace.