Senior Cloud DevOps Engineer - SPG
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Software and Services
As an engineer in the Special Projects Group, you will be part of a team building infrastructure and tools for exciting new technologies that will shape the future. You will work in a startup-like environment where our autonomous systems are still being defined and developed, giving you the chance to influence some of the core tools used by the project. You will be part of every stage of development from concept to deployment. We are looking for a motivated individual who is passionate about joining Apple's engineering team as a Senior Cloud DevOps Engineer. We are focused on autonomous technology that spans across numerous different technology disciplines. Our team wrangles a huge amount of cloud infrastructure. Your role is to build infrastructure-as-code software and other tools providing a foundation for cloud software teams to rapidly build large scale cloud systems. We bring together the latest cloud technologies, open source, and internal Apple platforms and architect solutions allowing them to work seamlessly together. Do you obsess about building elegant APIs that simplify complicated procedures and improve developer productivity? Do you enjoy making foundational changes that increase developer productivity and robustness of systems that benefit large sections of people across an organization? Do you envision and formulate solutions to infrastructure problems while thinking like a software developer? If so, you would fit right into our team and we can't wait for you to join us and help us grow.
- At least 8+ years hands-on experience in software development for cloud or infrastructure, using DevOps principles in a senior or lead role
- Expertise in software development: clean and reliable code, API design, refactoring, test driven development, design patterns, abstractions, writing documentation, and the complete software development life-cycle. We use Python and Go, but it’s OK if your expertise is another language
- Expertise in infrastructure-as-code tools such as Terraform or Pulumi, and continuous deployment pipelines
- Expertise in AWS or GCP foundations including compute, networking, storage, and security
- Experience architecting Kubernetes based systems
- Experience designing cloud infrastructure for robustness, security, and observability
- Experience building and evolving code in large code-bases used by hundreds of developers
- Proficient with using and debugging: networks, DNS, HTTP, TLS, load-balancing, build systems, Linux, and Docker
- Strong problem solving skills, critical thinking, and team collaboration
- Ability to propose projects, pre-empt problems with solutions, define and measure success metrics, and plan project road-maps
You will be working on building reusable infrastructure-as-code, continuous deployment, and related systems, with the goal of standardizing, accelerating, and improving robustness of cloud systems. Your systems will be used by many cloud software developers across the organization, building upon it to create systems for distributed computing, big data processing, ML infrastructure, and more. You will be part of building the future for Apple. The team works on fresh, dynamic challenges every day and prides itself on delivering robust, well engineered solutions that tackle these challenges. You will need to be a self-starter, ready to dig in and own projects, collaborate cross-functionally, and deliver quality results. The work is challenging, but you can count on a deep level of support from your team. In this role, you will: • Lead infrastructure-as-code projects, designing APIs and building tools to be used by developer teams for reliable and repeatable cloud deployments • Implement abstractions to simplify the complexities of cloud providers (AWS, GCP), open source technologies (Kubernetes ecosystem), and internal Apple infrastructure • Obsess about the usability of the systems you build, allowing engineers to have an intuitive and predictable experience working with infrastructure at scale • Build abstractions and processes to get ahead of constantly evolving infrastructure requirements, system migrations, and enforce best practices for security, stability, scalability, and debugability • Troubleshooting complex infrastructure problems, often spanning multiple layers of the stack and requires working with multiple teams • Approach problems with a platform oriented mindset - constantly building solutions that can be utilized by others • Think outside the box to propose new solutions to seemingly impossible problems
Education & Experience
At least 8+ years hands-on experience in software development for cloud or infrastructure, using DevOps principles in a senior or lead role.
- Apple’s most important resource, our soul, is our people. Apple benefits help further the well-being of our employees and their families in meaningful ways. No matter where you work at Apple, you can take advantage of our health and wellness resources and time-away programmers. We’re proud to provide stock grants to employees at all levels of the company, and we also give employees the option to buy Apple stock at a discount — both offer everyone at Apple the chance to share in the company’s success. You’ll discover many more benefits of working at Apple, such as programmers that match your charitable contributions, reimburse you for continuing your education and give you special employee pricing on Apple products. Apple benefits programmers vary by country and are subject to eligibility requirements. Apple is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We take affirmative action to ensure equal opportunity for all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, Veteran status, or other legally protected characteristics. Apple is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to applicants with physical and mental disabilities. Apple is a drug-free workplace.