Materials Engineer - Packaging PD
Austin, Texas, United States
When was the last time you enjoyed a box as much as the product inside? At Apple, every customer interaction is an opportunity for surprise and delight! This philosophy extends beyond the product to its packaging, where every detail is thoughtfully considered. The Packaging PD team is a diverse group of people responsible for the design and execution of structural packaging for all Apple products - from shippers to finished goods boxes. Our packaging delivers an outstanding customer experience, while protecting products throughout the shipping environment, and advancing Apple’s sustainability goals. We collaborate with a wide range of teams including Industrial Design, Marketing, Environmental, Operations and many others during the design process. We are seeking someone who approaches problem solving with passion, creativity, and curiosity. Apple’s approach to packaging is unique, so we value people who are eager to learn new skills and further improve their knowledge of packaging design, manufacturing processes, and sustainable materials. We welcome fresh influences from outside the standard packaging industry to promote innovation in creative ways. The Packaging Materials team collaborates with a wide range of partners to develop the highest quality materials with careful consideration of environmental impact. The position requires you to drive strategic next generation materials, engage in hands-on project-based work, and establish key material supplier relationships with a sharp focus on material and process sustainability.
- In-depth expertise in material science, structure-property relationships, and characterization of material performance for structural and cosmetic applications, in quantitative terms
- Experience working with cross functional groups to drive material selection and development
- Effective in leading multiple development projects simultaneously with overseas vendors to achieve high standards and meet fast-paced schedules
- Effective communication skills. Specifically, you are able to explain complex issues to a variety of audiences, are able to think about the big picture when communicating, and can summarize technical details succinctly.
- Experience with material processing, testing and developing materials for large-scale manufacturing is preferred
- Experience with paper, fiber, or bio-based materials is preferred.
- Work cooperatively across functions to understand the application requirements and accurately translate product-level requirements into material-level properties - Curate material portfolio and recommend off-the-shelf materials - Develop tools to streamline material selection and share material knowledge cross-functionally - Drive hands-on scientific studies of material performance, from developing test methods/experimentation plans, applying robust DoE methods and statistical analysis of data to evaluate and specify material parameters critical to quality. - Establish and develop relationships with manufacturers/suppliers to identify emerging technologies. Collaborate with partner industries and companies to develop and execute future strategy for environmentally-responsible material solutions. - Communicate findings in a clear, concise manner to multiple levels of audiences, including visualization of data. Develop practical recommendations to inform material selection, design feasibility, and manufacturing process development
Education & Experience
- MS or PhD with 3+ years of industry experience in Material Science & Engineering, Polymer Science, Fiber Science, Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering with an emphasis in Materials, Process Engineering, Packaging or related fields.