Wireless Systems Engineer
San Diego, California, United States
At Apple, we work every single day to craft products that enrich people’s lives. Do you love working on challenges that no one has solved yet? As a member of our Wireless Silicon Design group, you will have the unique and rewarding opportunity to build upcoming products that will delight and encourage millions of Apple’s customers every single day! In this technical role, you will be at the center of our silicon design group responsible for the wireless system design of our innovative wireless SoC products. You will have the chance to create algorithms and architectures of wireless communication systems, as well as collaborate with extraordinary RF/analog, HW, SW designers and architects to implement, verify, validate and bring up SoC products to production quality, providing them to millions of Apple customers!
- Experience in crafting signal processing and wireless communications systems.
- Working knowledge of wireless communication systems (e.g., OFDM/MIMO, etc.) and hands-on experience with lab testing and characterization will be necessary.
- Strong understanding of communication theory & signal processing-related algorithm design (such as timing recovery, signal estimation and detection, MIMO signal estimation and detection, automatic gain control, channel estimation, equalization, coding theory, beamforming, etc.)
- Deep understanding of components/modules within wireless communication systems, and the possible impairments from those components, and the corresponding calibration and impairment reduction methods/algorithms, digital pre-distortion, PAPR reduction algorithms, Tx power control, etc.
- Experience with Matlab or Python and/or C/C++ for algorithm development, modeling, and simulation.
- Experience in modem architecture, microprocessor architecture, hardware and software control are a plus.
- Experience on low power algorithm design for power critical application is a plus.
- Experience with multi-radio coexistence management is a plus.
- Experience and knowledge on High Level Synthesis (HLS), silicon prototyping, emulation systems, and virtual platforms will be a plus.
- Experience on bring up of real silicon in lab and being able to efficiently use lab equipment (such as spectrum analyzer, signal generator, power meter, etc.) is helpful.
- Knowledge in existing wireless communication protocols; such as 5G/LTE/WCDMA/GSM, 802.11a/b/g/n/ac/ax/be, 802.11ad/ay or Bluetooth/BLE.
In this role, core responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following: - Designing and simulating wireless communication systems for very high data rate applications. - Implementing system models and investigate algorithms for performance enhancements, design and validate them to allow performance sign-off and enable RTL development. - Implementing system models for the wireless communication system and RF/circuits impairments. - Defining the control procedures of the physical layer hardware modules to achieve robust and optimal performance of the Modem in a congested radio environment. - Designing methods/algorithms to alleviate those impairments by calibration, pre-equalization, cancellation, and/or pre-distortion techniques. - Collaborating with digital designers to realize these methods with power and area efficient digital implementations. - Collaborating with firmware designers to realize these methods with high efficiency software implementation, and possibly with hardware acceleration. - Bringing up, testing, characterizing and optimizing real silicon in the lab.
Education & Experience
BS and 3+ years of relevant experience required. MS and PhD preferred.