5G/4G Layer1 Software Development Engineer (Instrument Engineering)
San Diego, California, United States
Join this small team of extraordinary engineers that designs and produces precision protocol, RF and Analog Test Equipment for use in calibrating and testing 4G, 5G, WiFi, BT, mmWave, UWB and NFC radios in millions of iPhones, iPads, Macs and Watches. We’re looking for a highly motivated individual who enjoys developing software deployed in cellular systems. All members of the team bring their own unique expertise to collectively take internal Apple products from concept to mass production. Each internal product is designed to Apple's exacting standards resulting in breathtaking test equipment that maintains the quality, accuracy and function of commercially available offerings.
- A good understanding of cellular protocol stacks, particularly 5G and 4G
- Software development Experience and debugging skills in C and C++
- Experience with multi-processing and multi-threading based implementations
- Good fundamentals in object-oriented SW design and test techniques and methodologies
- Strong interpersonal skills and a willingness to learn
- Open to international travel about 10% of the time
As a 5G/4G Layer1 Software Development Engineer, you will develop high quality 5G and 4G physical layer software using modern software engineering techniques and tools as part of a team with varied strengths. Your responsibilities will include designing, developing, testing and deployment of this software, spanning various aspects of the physical layer software, including interfacing with the upper layers and implementing and driving lower layers. You will use a data-driven approach within a continuous improvement culture. You’ll work proactively with other multi-functional teams to determine the optimum software solutions to improve the quality of Apple’s products.
Education & Experience
Bachelor’s degree is needed. We also highly value Master’s or above. Relevant fields include Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Math, Physics and other Engineering domains. Course study in wireless communications with a focus on cellular systems and protocols will be a plus.
- - 3+ years of industry experience or equivalent
- - Recent hands-on development Experience in Layer1 software development
- - Knowledge of fundamental concepts in RF systems
- - Familiarity with the use of Matlab
- - Scripting and debug experience using Python