HW Systems Engineering Architect - AirPods
Boulder, Colorado, United States
The AirPods Hardware group is looking for experienced electrical engineers who are eager to help define technologies that will be fundamental to our future products. Our team is responsible for developing and delivering technologies that fit within the most challenging physical and power envelopes in a way that only Apple can.
- Must have 5+ years of proven experience in electronic system design, or in top-level chip architecture / specification and the ability to understand tradeoffs among the electrical, mechanical, and software domains
- Must have familiarity working with open ended constraints and relying on understanding the user experience to define electrical requirements
- Must have excellent EE fundamentals; this means you have a deep understanding of why our field works the way it does; you've developed an intuition and can apply it to new topics because you understand the basics
- Must have knowledge of the semiconductor development and manufacturing process
- Hands-on experience in prototype bring-up, debugging and functional verification is very beneficial
- Should have practical knowledge with various communication protocols (especially USB, SPI, I2C and UART)
- Technical expertise in the following areas is especially desirable: DC/DC power conversion, wireless technologies, embedded and digital audio systems, sensing technologies
As part of the team you will be responsible for developing specifications for, analyzing, and reviewing designs for custom silicon from both in-house designers as well as third-party vendors. You will also seek out and investigate new technologies that can be leveraged to deliver groundbreaking new features to our customers. Knowledge of how various submodules of a complete system architecture interact is critical for projecting and mitigating coexistence issues at the architectural level. Working within the tiny power and physical envelope that AirPods demand requires careful consideration of every microwatt and every square millimeter. Nothing comes for free, so you will need to understand and navigate all the tradeoffs across various engineering teams to come to a realizable solution.
Education & Experience
BS, MS, or PHD Electrical Engineering or equivalent, and 5+ years experience in the consumer electronics or semiconductor industry.