Optical Sensing HW - Optical HW Development Engineer (Optical Design)
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Design, develop, and launch next-generation Sensor Technologies in Apple products. The Sensor Hardware team develops sensor solutions and technologies for Apple’s products, including the iPhone, iPad, MacBooks, Apple Watch, and more. The key goal of the Sensor Technology team is to enable the world’s best user-experience. New challenges arise every day that require the sharp problem-solving skills of dedicated and experienced individuals. The team features a collaborative and hands-on environment that develops engineering excellence, creativity, and innovation. We are looking for Optical Hardware Development Engineers with a strong background in optical design, modeling, and lab experimentation, to help develop new sensors and sensing systems for future Apple products.
- Strong background in optical design
- Experienced in optical simulation (LightTools, FRED, Zemax, or similar) and numerical/statistical tools (MATLAB, Python, JMP, etc)
- Hands-on experience with optical lab metrology (photodetectors, light sources, spectrometers, free space optics, etc.) and associated electrical equipment (oscilloscopes, function generators, SMUs, etc) for custom bench bring-up
- Multi-disciplinary understanding of optics, general physics principles and basic EE concepts
- Demonstrated experience in modeling complex cross-disciplinary systems
- Ability to effectively combine modeling and experimentation to drive key system design decisions
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, and solid partnership and leadership skills
- Industry experience in miniaturized optical systems is a plus
- Experience supporting high volume manufacturing is a plus, such as failure analysis, statistical analysis, etc
- Use optical modeling tools and experiments to design, develop, and validate miniaturized optical components and systems - Develop and accurately predict performance of complex miniaturized optical systems; follow through between simulations and measurements - Support factory builds for the designed optical sensors – drive failure analysis, data review, and characterization/validation - Feature definition, block-level simulation, and spec authorship of sensor modules - Building, maintaining, and documenting a thorough end-to-end understanding of optical sensing system - Work closely with mechanical and process engineering teams in optimizing trade-offs between manufacturability, reliability, and performance - Author regular technical communication for executive and multi-functional updates
Education & Experience
Ph.D. in Optics, Physics, or Electrical Engineering. Industry experience preferred.