SWE - Clang Compiler Engineer
London, Greater London, United Kingdom
Software and Services
The Clang compiler is at the core of Apple's developer tools and Xcode IDE, used internally to build Apple's software stack and externally by millions of developers. We are looking for a compiler software engineer to develop and enhance the Clang compiler and C++ language support. Your work will directly improve the development experience for millions of developers across the world. The work done by Apple’s compiler and languages teams often gets showcased at Apple’s WWDC event and presented at conferences such as LLVM Developer Meeting. We value communication skills, integrity and creativity, and aspire to build diverse, balanced and dynamic teams.
- Advanced knowledge of C++ with the ability to write maintainable, high performance code
- Experience developing and/or maintaining large C++ frameworks
- Familiarity with recent C++ language evolution such as C++20
- Strong communication and teamwork skills
- Positive and respectful attitude in a diverse environment
In this position, you will: • Develop new language and compiler features to advance Clang's support for C++ language standards as well as to improve stability and performance of Apple platforms • Have the opportunity to drive all aspects of feature development: planning, design, implementation, roll out and communication • Have the opportunity to improve the interplay between the compiler and other developer tools such as build systems, debuggers, and source editors. • Work with teams across Apple to help shape the future of our compiler and tools You will interact with and support our large and diverse user base. You will also be an active contributor to the llvm.org open source projects and interact with the open source community and programming language communities like ISO C++ standards committee. Here you’ll find that we: • Have a supportive and tight-knit team • Provide technical guidance, software architectural review, and mentorship • Have an encouraging and growth-focused workplace culture • Encourage you to use accrued vacation time and maintain a healthy work-life balance • Offer excellent benefits The position is based onsite at Apple's campus in London. International candidates are welcome to apply but will need to relocate; the company will sponsor a visa.
Education & Experience
B.S. in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- The following skills are a plus but not a requirement
- - Experience working across organizational boundaries `
- - Knowledge of LLVM/Clang/Libc++ and/or open source software development
- - Understanding of the design and implementation of compiler and related tools like linters and analyzers
- Apple’s most important resource, our soul, is our people. Apple benefits help further the well-being of our employees and their families in meaningful ways. No matter where you work at Apple, you can take advantage of our health and wellness resources and time-away programmes. We’re proud to provide stock grants to employees at all levels of the company, and we also give employees the option to buy Apple stock at a discount — both offer everyone at Apple the chance to share in the company’s success. You’ll discover many more benefits of working at Apple, such as programmes that match your charitable contributions, reimburse you for continuing your education and give you special employee pricing on Apple products.
- Apple benefits programmes vary by country and are subject to eligibility requirements. Apple is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We take affirmative action to ensure equal opportunity for all applicants without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, Veteran status, or other legally protected characteristics. Apple is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to applicants with physical and mental disabilities.