Optical Metrology Engineer
Cupertino, California, United States
The Panel, Process & Optics team features a collaborative environment with creative and outstanding products and innovative technologies. We provide opportunities for individuals to contribute across a wide spectrum of fields. World-class engineering excellence and thoroughness are expected and encouraged! Innovation, IP and patent creation are highly supported and valued. Opening up the boundaries to design and ship innovative products with outstanding technologies and user experiences are the main goals of our team! Join us in crafting solutions the world doesn't know of yet. To be successful, you should be able to thrive in a dynamic, agile, multi-disciplinary, and hands-on environment that values engineering excellence, creativity, and innovation.
- Strong communication skills to communicate clearly and efficiently across a range of technical subject areas with a broad slate of partners, including management, peers, and suppliers.
- Proven experience in development and high volume deployment of electro-optical modules.
- Experience in optical instrumentation and data collection & automation, familiar with tools like Matlab, Python, C#, C/C++ or LabVIEW or equivalent.
- Strong optical simulation experience and system modeling experience, familiar with ray tracing tools such as LightTools, Zemax, CodeV etc. and perform optical simulation and experimental lab validation.
- Strong quantitative data analysis abilities, using JMP, Matlab, or equivalent tools and familiar with relevant algorithm for image analysis and data analysis.
- Experience in mass volume manufacturing of consumer electronics (optical preferred), familiar with 6 sigma, P/T, design of experiment, failure analysis, risk management and system trade off study.
- Strong capability in design, setup and execution of sophisticated optical experiments either in house or with external vendor. Have experience in identify, define, develop, test and deploy innovative optics for display and optical system.
- Experience in one or more fields: in-line metrology and testing development, thin film fabrication and physics understanding/modeling, injection molding, manufacturing and testing in sensor and/or diffraction optics.
You will be responsible for crafting and developing industry leading optical calibration and metrology systems for testing optical modules and components (e.g. display panels), during new product introduction (NPI) stage, with the supports from software and hardware multi-functional teams. Initiate, explore, prototype and deploy new technology for module and key optical component testing to support product design and development. Provide technical assessments of vendor capability, tester manufacturing feasibility, and validate and influence supplier’s technical specification to fulfill design requirements and key performance matrix characterization bring up. Define calibration & measurement Engineering Requirement Specification (ERS) for optical instruments and automated systems. Conduct HW/SW validation and FA for metrology instruments and systems. Deep dives in new tester prototyping, FA, scale up through simulation, design of experiments, data analysis and technical benchmarking (Gauge R&R process). Involved in tester related component, module and system level process, design and spec funneling to enable manufacturability in high volume Champion new technology transfer to manufacturing partners from research/pilot line to ensure scalability Provide streamlined presentations and reports to connect to a range of cross-functional teams.
Education & Experience
BS and a minimum of 3 years relevant industry experience in Optics, Physics, Opto-mechanics, Electrical Engineering, or related fields.