Commercial and Strategy Management Intern
Shanghai, Shanghai, China
Operations and Supply Chain
Imagine what you could do here. At Apple, new ideas have a way of becoming extraordinary products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish. The people here at Apple don’t just create products — they create the kind of wonder that’s revolutionized entire industries. It’s the diversity of those people and their ideas that inspires the innovation that runs through everything we do, from amazing technology to industry-leading environmental efforts. Join Apple, and help us leave the world better than we found it. The Commercial and Strategy Management (CSM) team is part of the Manufacturing Design Organization responsible for commercial strategy, negotiations, and cost management for mechanical enclosure components across Apple’s products. The CSM team enables new product features at lower costs, while continually driving competition in the existing and future supply chain. The CSM team is responsible for commercial work that spans from new product supplier selection to sustaining cost management as well as total cost deals across multiple lines of business. We use our access to Apple’s entire enclosure book of business to strike creative and advantageous deals in the supply chain that help develop new supply chain partners and ensure balanced cost competition within the existing supply base. This requires developing and implementing innovative commercial strategies that can include world class auction and game theory techniques.
- Experience in supply chain development, sourcing management and cost negotiation
- Outstanding analytical/negotiation skills
- Ability to toggle between strategic and detail oriented thinking
- Tenacious problem solving & issue resolution skills
- Excellent presentation and interpersonal skills
- Ability to influence across multiple functional teams
- Flexibility to adapt to dynamic and rapidly changing environments
- Excellent communicators, capable of working in multinational environments, driven and motivated by accomplishing extraordinary objectives
- Mechanical and/or prior technical acumen to effectively negotiate by leveraging manufacturing process and product design fundamentals.
- Web/app development experience is a plus.
The CSM team is responsible for helping develop the longer term supply chain strategy of mechanical enclosures as well as collaborating with key partners in our Finance and Operations leadership teams. The CSM team works with our partners in Operations as well as Engineering do develop the best cost strategy and deals to support Apple’s product roadmap. Commercial and Strategy Managers sit at the intersection of Apple's business activities and engineering communities and balance the needs of both groups to ensure successful product launches with competitive costs. Key Cost and Strategy Manager job responsibilities: • Maximize strong analytical, financial, and negotiation skills to build out both near and long-term strategies and cost discussions with our manufacturing partners. • Work hand-in-hand with project Global Supply Managers, other Operations teams, and Engineering teams to understand new design cost opportunities as well as how to best intercept new supplier selection to improve Apple’s commercial and cost leverage. • Strategize and develop creative and unique deals that enable lower costs for Apple across multiple lines of business. • Develop quarterly negotiation proposals using Apple’s volume and forward-looking production plans to strike attractive deals which bring down the costs of components in our shipping products. • Analyze detailed should-cost and bottoms-up cost models to find opportunities to improve on operational efficiency and costs including qualification of new or different processes. • Develop and present internal cost roadmaps and cost updates for executive level discussions and reviews. • Help develop long-term supplier roadmap, including focus areas for further diversification — both in terms of quantity of suppliers and geographic diversity.
Education & Experience
Master’s or Bachelor’s degree enrolled. MBA is a plus.
- Apple is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We also take affirmative action to offer employment and advancement opportunities to all applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. Apple will not discriminate or retaliate against applicants who inquire about, disclose, or discuss their compensation or that of other applicants.