Senior Big Data Engineer (Java + Hadoop) - Strategic Data Solutions
Sacramento, California, United States
Software and Services
Do you want to join a team that is critical to the success of Apple? Become a part of the responsibility for the data collection and reporting for all of Apple’s hardware products around the world. We build systems that interact with every iPhone, iPad and Mac. We shape the next generation of customer data solutions by working on cutting-edge technologies and collaborating with talented teams across Apple. Our systems enable Apple engineering and operations teams to build the next groundbreaking product. You'll be joining our diverse and talented team to summarize, simplify, and solve complex problems in our global ecosystem. We advance technology by relying on each other's strengths and skills to build something bigger than ourselves. For this reason, team culture is central to our values. Our team values social skills and integrity as much as technical craft. We are looking for exceptional engineers to help take our environment to the next level. Do you excel in a high-demand setting and exceed expectations, in an environment that requires time-management? The right person will prioritize tasks and complete assignments ahead of schedule. While being a great standout colleague, you will work independently.
- 5+ years of work experience in Java
- 3+ years of work experience with the Hadoop stack
- Passionate about Computer Science, Big Data, and learning new technologies
- Experience in designing and developing large scale applications utilizing Big Data technologies
- Outstanding teammate with excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- You will have a good sense of engineering trade-offs, with an ability to understand the impact of software changes on extendibility, scalability, performance, and maintainability
- Experience with Kafka and/or Druid is a plus
As a member of a multi-functional team, you'll have the opportunity to solve relevant Big Data engineering problems across a broad range of Apple manufacturing services. You'll manage a large-scale, high-availability, rapidly-growing Big Data infrastructure that supports multi-Petabytes of data. You will also be working closely with DevOps and other teams within Strategic Data Solutions. Responsibilities: - Develop applications to answer complex analytical and real-time operational questions. - Help to design, architect and build the data platform while using a variety of Big Data technologies. - Innovate by exploring, recommending, benchmarking, and implementing data centric platform technologies. - Provide hardware architectural guidance, estimate cluster capacity, and create roadmaps for Hadoop cluster deployment. - Provide support for both analytics and operational platforms.
Education & Experience
BS or MS in Computer Science preferred; equivalent work experience considered