Engineering Manager - Cloud Services
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Software and Services
The Developer Tools Cloud Services is looking for an experienced engineering manager to join a team in Vancouver. This job spans all phases of the development cycle for a new developer facing service at Apple, from feature and architecture design through to operating the service. You will ensure continued improvements and new feature development in a complex service; coordinate across the engineering teams that you’ll lead, as well as with partner teams, ranging from designers to partner service teams and infrastructure teams. You will help the team understand the behaviour of the system under stress, help troubleshoot and solve issues, and continually harden the service. Senior leadership will look to you to summarize complexity, have both a short-term and long-term lens on risk, and lead both people and projects in partnership with dedicated project managers, to maximize the chance of project success.
- 7+ years developing software for large or demanding customer bases
- Deep understanding of distributed systems, including their security challenges
- Effective at cutting through ambiguity and driving execution across multiple teams
- 7+ years leading engineering teams
- Consistent track record delivering best-of-breed customer experiences
- Experience with distributed systems architecture and operations
- Experience collaborating with peer teams on complex projects
- Strong communication, organization and management skills
- Technical background in distributed build and dependency management systems design
The ideal candidate will have: experience shipping a v1 product as well as managing systems operating at scale; experience with building distributed systems on public and/or private cloud infrastructure. Developer tools experience and experience shipping client-side software are definite pluses, as is experience navigating larger organizations. As the engineering manager for a new service, you enable your engineering team to do their best work, in partnership and collaboration with product leadership, project management, and senior leadership. You will continuously and appropriately help grow the engineering culture through improvements in process towards the goals of excellent customer experiences which rely on resilient, secure services. With a product-wide perspective, you will assist with roadmap prioritization and ensure that teams are coordinating effectively to deliver their individual roadmaps, and you will support multi-functional efforts when needed, e.g. release engineering, incident response, security task resolution, performance optimization. When appropriate, you will provide a back-stop for capabilities the team needs, and help connect the team with the right partnerships within Apple.
Education & Experience
B.S. in Computer Science or equivalent experience