iPad System Reliability Engineer
Shenzhen, Guangdong, China
Apple’s Hardware Reliability Engineering team is looking for talented individuals to work with our diverse hardware engineering teams. As the Reliability team, we are responsible for ensuring and improving the durability and reliability of Apple's products. To achieve that, we partner with multiple engineering teams from the beginning (concept) to the end (field returns) of a product lifecycle by helping to understand how customers will use our products, identify high risk failure modes and use our engineering knowledge to help find the best path towards mitigation. If you have a passion for constant learning and innovative engineering products, you will fit right in. You will drive failure modes and effects analysis (FMEA) to ensure adaptability of new designs, develop and implement creative reliability tests on new hardware programs, quantify reliability risk, and lead failure analysis and corrective actions to insure our products continue to surprise and delight our customers for the years to come.
- We've found applicants with these skills have a good head start:
- Deep understanding of mechanical assemblies and fundamental knowledge.
- Experience performing reliability testing including Mechanical Stress tests (Shock/Drop/ Vibration testing), Environmental & Fatigue testing.
- Familiar with Failure Analysis techniques (Optical Microscopy, X-ray/CT, Scanning Electron Microscopy/Energy Dispersive Spectroscopy, etc.), and the ability to use failure analysis methodology to derive a root cause of failures.
- Statistical experience such as Weibull++, JMP, or familiarity with accelerated test models
- Imaginative approach to Failure Modes and Effects Analysis (FMEA) and Design of
- Experiments (DOE).
- Basic understanding of Finite Elements Analysis (FEA) and Digital Image Correlation (DIC)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including executive level presentations and ability to drive multi-functional teams. We make critical program decisions for iPad programs to move forward.
- Confident with navigating ambiguity and creating new ways of doing things.
- Strong problem solving abilities with expected communication skills
- Solid experience and knowledge from reliability lab, multi-projects and tasks handle, vendors management can be plus.
Maintain frequent, efficient communication concerning the developments in Asia and in Cupertino Guide vendors to support test and reporting requirements both remotely and through on-site visits. Drive test equipment and test specs that are critical for validation of reliability Identify high risk failure modes early in the design life cycle Develop new tests based on the physics of failure and any novel user interactions that the technology enables.
Education & Experience
- Engineering degree and 4+ years of experience in a related field or industry required - B.S. or M.S Engineering degree in Mechanical Engineering, Materials Science, Physics or an equivalent field desired
- Apple is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We also take affirmative action to offer employment and advancement opportunities to all applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. Apple will not discriminate or retaliate against applicants who inquire about, disclose, or discuss their compensation or that of other applicants.