Test Engineer Intern, Packaging Product Design
Shanghai, Shanghai, China
The people here at Apple don’t just build products — they build the kind of wonder that’s revolutionized entire industries. It’s the diversity of those people and their ideas that encourages the innovation that runs through everything we do, from ground breaking technology to industry-leading environmental efforts. Join Apple, and help us leave the world better than we found it. Imaging what you could do here. At Apple, creative ideas have a way of becoming wonderful products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there’s no telling what you could accomplish. When was the last time you enjoyed a box as much as the product inside? At Apple, every customer interaction is an opportunity for surprise and delight! This philosophy extends beyond the product to its packaging, where every detail is thoughtfully considered. The Packaging PD team is a diverse group of people responsible for the design and execution of structural packaging for all Apple products from shippers to finished goods boxes. Our packaging delivers an outstanding customer experience, while protecting products throughout the shipping environment, and advancing Apple’s sustainability goals. We collaborate with a wide range of teams including Industrial Design, Marketing, Environmental, Operations and many others during the design process. We are seeking people in both Cupertino and Shanghai who will approach problem solving with passion, creativity, and curiosity. Apple’s approach to packaging is unique, so we value people who are eager to learn new skills and further improve their knowledge of packaging design, manufacturing processes, and sustainable materials. We welcome fresh influences from outside the standard packaging industry to promote innovation in creative ways.
- All candidates have different strengths. That said, some skills make the transition easier:
- - New product development in a fast-paced, high-volume, engineering environment
- - Data-driven approach to solving complex and novel technical problems
- - Management of simultaneous projects, including oversight of third-party vendors
- - Strong engineering fundamentals with a basic understanding of design and metrology
- - Introductory knowledge of packaging materials, manufacturing processes and evaluation testing
- - standards such as ASTM, TAPPI and ISTA
- - Effective verbal and written English skills
- Develop hardware and software test systems to collect analytics on design performance - Create arrays of metrology measurements and failure analysis metrics to benchmark designs - Work with internal and external teams to refine plans, optimizing value tensions between groups - Build positive relationships with supplier teams while driving them to execute validation plans - Statistically analyze data to provide risk assessments and technical recommendations - International travel up to 20% to support engineering build activities and design development
Education & Experience
BS degree with an emphasis in Mechanical Engineering, Packaging Science or related field
- Apple is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We also take affirmative action to offer employment and advancement opportunities to all applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. Apple will not discriminate or retaliate against applicants who inquire about, disclose, or discuss their compensation or that of other applicants.